Least favorite thing: external merging

JEP

I started merging a branch with Plastic for the first time yesterday. Some of the merge suggestions had me tearing my hair out. So I tried SemanticMerge and it was a huge improvement. However, the one area I didn't like is that it couldn't do the actual conflict resolution/editing right there in SM. It had to launch the external merge tool instead. I feel like this makes the process feel more disjointed and easier to mess up. It would be preferable if SM was an actual superset of the functionality of the regular merge tool, rather than still requiring it.

Yes, I get that it automatically handles a lot of the issues, but when it does and manual intervention is required (which happened on a couple of files in the very first set of changes I needed to merge), it feels like a step backwards to have to have it launch another tool with a slightly different interface (especially when you've just started using both tools). It would be a strong product if it could do its automatic stuff, but also allow manual intervention.