Ignore file isn't ignoring private files?

JEP

I'm trying to ignore the Plastic plugin folder, but it just doesn't seem to work. I have this in the plastic-global-config ignore.conf:

/Assets/Plugins/PlasticSCM*

But this is what I see in Plastic's pending changes:

image.png.efec5e0f616ebaa64b9826eb2a8a2c2f.png

Also, did a newer version take out the right-click "Add to ignore list"? I don't see it anymore, which is quite confusing.

Hi,

You can only ignore the items that are not still under source control ("private" items in the GUI). In your screenshot I can see these items are already added to sourcde control/checked-out. If you undo the changes, they should appear again as Private so you can ignore them.

For the already under source control items, the list to use is "hidden changes".
https://www.plasticscm.com/book/#_ignoring_private_files_with_ignore_conf

Regards,
Carlos.

Okay. This does seem to be the case. But I'm even more confused. The "status" of these items says "Added". And they are under the category "Added and private items." I don't really understand what Plastic is telling me I need to check in on these files, if they're already in source control. If they were changed, they should but under the changed items, surely? And if they were not changed, they shouldn't be a pending change at all, right? Why would they even be listed under my pending changes?

Hi,

When you copy some new files in your Plastic workspace they are initially "Private". Then, you can add the file to version control. It doesn't mean they are already checked-in (controlled).

If you add a new file to version control, it will be "Added/Checked-out" and that's why it appears in the "Pending changes" view.

For instance, If you add to source control a file that was previously "Private/ignored", it will appear in "Pending Changes".

PD: The same happens if you have a controlled file that is included in "hidden_changes.conf". As soon as you checkout the file, it will appear in pending changes. All the files you actively add to source control or checkout will appear in the "Pending Changes" list.

Regards,

Carlos.

I still don't get it. If they weren't already controlled, then they should have said "Private/ignored." If they already were in source control, they they should have been current (this was the first time I'd gotten the plugin). But they were both already controlled AND they said "Added".

It's not just me, and it's not just about this one file. A lot of our team have puzzled over some of the Status column values when trying to get used to Plastic. When I spent hours trying to help untangle some stuff yesterday, there were multiple times where we said "What does that even MEAN??"

I think the key with new files is to understand that there is an extra status that is not Private (Plastic is not tracking the file) and is neither Controlled (checked-in).

This is the status when you add the files to source control so Plastic is tracking them but the files are not still checked in. The ignore rules are only applyed to Private files.

In git there is a similar status (add vs commit): https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-the-add-and-commit-commands-in-Git

Regards,

Carlos.