Skip bad checkin + only checkin to branches

rakkar

I have a junior developer who made a series of bad checkins to the mainline while I still had work in progress not yet checked in.

Question 1: How do I checkin myself, while skipping his bad checkins as if they were never commited?

Question 2: How can I restrict this developer's permissions so he is no longer allowed to check into the main line?

Hi,

Question 1: How do I checkin myself, while skipping his bad checkins as if they were never commited?

You can perform your checkin in a different branch (or shelve your changes). If you check your changes in the same branch, the changes will try to be merged. You can also manually delete the wrong changesets if they are not necessary or wrong.

Question 2: How can I restrict this developer's permissions so he is no longer allowed to check into the main line?

If you right-click the branch in the "Branch explorer" view, you can assign permissions and deny the "ci" permission for this user. Please check the following link for some more detailed examples:

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/security/plastic-scm-version-control-security-guide

Regards,

Carlos.

Under "Prevent users from modifying any item on certain branches" it has a new Group with the ci permission removed. I've gone ahead and created a new group in a similar way. However, the developer is currently under his original group which does have that permission. How do I move him to the new group? In the cloud interface my only option is to invite him by email address to the new group, which is odd as this shouldn't be a voluntary decision on his choice. Also, if he does accept the new group and I remove him from the old group, is it going to require him to redownload the repository or lose access to work in progress?

If a user belog to a group with denied permissions, it always prevails. Doesn't matter if the user also belong to a group with enabled permissions.

You can manage the groups adding and removing users/groups from them:

image.png

The admin is who creates the groups and set the group members. The user can't decide about that or reject belonging to a group.

Regards,

Carlos.

In your screenshot, I can see you are configuring the branch permissions, but there could be also some repository permissions assigned.

Acording to the error message, the user belongs to a group where the "view" permissions for this repo are denied (or not allowed).

If you are a paying customer, you can reach us to support@codicesoftware.com and we can even arrange a meeting to help you with the permissions configuration.

regards,

Carlos.

I am a paying customer, but to be honest it's not worth the trouble to setup a meeting as my time is limited. I recommend improving the documentation and error codes, since what I am trying to do is not unusual and I have done this kind of thing with P4Admin (Perforce administration software) without issue.

The error message seems to be ok. The "view" permissions are denied for this user.  You need review the permissions at the repo level for all the groups where this user is included. In any of them, the "view" permissions msut be denied. If you are not able to find it, we can help you vi meeting.

In Plastic, you can configure permissions at the branch level but also the repository and server level:

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/security/plastic-scm-version-control-security-guide

Regards,

Carlos.