Local service cannot be started, possibly due to Telerik ORM (mono.security.dll) software

The Problem

When trying to create my first workspace after installation I get the following error:

"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:8084"

I checked to see if the local server was running, it was not, so I tried to start it from  Windows Services manager.

This failed with the error "Windows could not start the Plastic SCM server service on Local Computer. The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

Possible direction for solution

The post below suggests that Telerik ORM (Object relational mapping library) is likely to be involved, the author thinks the culprit is the file mono.security.dll:

Uninistalling Telerik and separately mono.security.dll in $windir/assembly worked for him/her. But on my computer I have mono.security.dll installed into multiple KeyPass (password manager) plugin directories, which I need to retain, and also a mono.security.ni.dll  and .aux files in a subdirectory of $windir/assembly. The latter may have been installed by Bentley Autodesk (CAD) viewing software, which I note installs Telerik (ORM?) software, and which I would prefer not to uninstall, but could if essential.

Mono.security.dll is also installed by PlasticSCM into several PlasticSCM directories so this looks like a .dll version or multiple instance clash.

Environment

PlasticSCM Cloud version: 9.0.16.5285

Windows 7 Ultimate SP2 64bit - patched almost up to date (3-4 patches missing)

Windows firewall: OFF (to see if it was involved)

Comodo Cloud antivirus: Real time protection OFF (to see if it was involved)

Query

Is there any fix for this without uninstalling Keypass and Bentley? Really would like to use Plastic if I can.

Maybe useful to others to have a fix as it seems the Telerik ORM library is quite commonly installed by other software.......

Many thanks in anticipation for any help you can give.

Mouse

Hi,

Even if the server is not starting, we whould be able to see any error if you are trying to start the Windows serice.

Could you open a root Windows console in the "server" folder and try to run the server in console mode?

plasticd.exe --console

Regards,

Carlos.

Thanks Carlos

When I run this I get:

"Server config file D:\Programs\PlasticSCM5\server\server.conf not found. PlasticServer is not correctly configured. Execute "plasticd configure" to configure server on text mode, or "configureserver" to launch the gui server configuration wizard."

On the command line.

Still no plastic.debug.log.txt file

Hi,

- If you are using Plastic Cloud edition, it should be deploying a "server.conf". I don't know why it's not there. Are you installing on Linux or Windows? What is your current version?

- Copying the default "server.conf" it should also work to start the server using the default configuration.

Regards,

Carlos.

Yes the sample config allowed the server to start from Windows services management. Thanks!

Versions - Windows 7 Ultimate SP2 64bit, as given above.  I have 3-4 patches missing. .Net 4.8 is installed.

I think you mentioned the possible need for a specific .net version in our demo?

Plastic SCM version is above. Installer executable name is: PlasticSCM-9.0.16.5285-windows-cloud-installer.exe

Installation ran smoothly.

Kind regards

Mouse

OK It created the workspace this time. Yippee! Thanks very much ☺️.

Do you think the installation will be otherwise OK? Can I run anything to validate it?

Do I need to change any of the sample configuration file sever settings for the Cloud version?

Kind regards

Mouse