Question regarding Binary vs Text (Unreal project)

DimancheCorp

Hi everyone, 

We're developing a game on Unreal, but we're mostly artists and we're pretty new to control versioning. We've installed Plastic Cloud and it's running great, no problem with that, but I'd like to ask a question to be sure I understand something correctly. 

See, I recently realized most Unreal assets are saved using the "Revision Type: Binary". This is the case of .uasset and .umap files, for example.  Uassets can be pretty much anything in Unreal, from Textures, to Light Data, to Meshes, etc. They can be small or pretty big.

I'm afraid that "Binary" files are going to eat our cloud data limit faster than text if we modify them frequently. It is a concern or am I mistaken? Should we maybe change the revision type from Binary to Text in some cases?

It's probably a very dumb question, but like I said we have no engineering background whatsoever, so thanks a lot for your help :)

Best 

Capture d’écran 2021-05-24 191906.png

Hi,

I'm afraid that "Binary" files are going to eat our cloud data limit faster than text if we modify them frequently. It is a concern or am I mistaken? Should we maybe change the revision type from Binary to Text in some cases?

The fact that Plastic considers the items text or binary is not relevant for the revision/database size. Anyway, if the files are text files is better to change the revision type to text so you can run text diff/merges for these files.

Regards,

Carlos.

Hello Carlos, 

Thanks a lot for your answer. Ok so it's just that texts are easier to manage in terms of merging since you can better see the differences, if I understand correctly.

Uasset files don't seem to be text, at least not pure text. Opening them with a Notepad creates a lot of parasitic "characters" in between some recognizable words, so it's probably wiser to let them be considered Binary. Do you agree?

Best regards