Branching per project (Game and Engine development)

Hi, I searched around to see if I found a confirmation of my assumption, but didn't. So I am looking to verify that. I've only started using Plastic, and I have not even scratched the surface.

Background: I am using UE4 for some personal prototyping.

What I am looking to do is have the core engine run as the mainline, branch off of that for whatever projects I want to do, have task branches off of the project branch, and have engine update, and generic engine modifications that will update the mainline, which could then be propagated down.

A way to look at it would be ( ASCII diagram :/ ):

EngineBase <-----------------------| (< bidirectional branches)

| (< unidirectional branches)       -> EngineIntegrationTasks
-> Project1                                  -> EngineModificationTasks

-> FeatureTask1

-> FeatureTask2

-> ProjectSpecificEnginMod

-> Project2

-> FeatureTask1

-> FeatureTask2

-> ProjectSpecificEnginMod

I hope that is clear enough.

I have previously been using perforce where branching effectively duplicates everything, and I would prefer to keep the disk consumption on my server as small as possible.

I assume this is possible and relatively sensible, but I wanted to confirm my assumptions.

Additionally, does branch switching always incur a network hit, or are the files cached on the working machine? Just wondering because my current repo is remote.

Thanks! :)

Edit: Also is it possible to restrict revision history fro binary files, or is the stored revision history pretty small?

Archived