How to workaround slow internet connection

Alejandro

Hi,

I'm working from home, and my internet connection is not great.

Our repo history is pretty big, but I think it should be possible to do some operations faster if the whole repo history was stored localy. For example, switching to older changesets, or undoing my local changes are some common operations that take a long time.

I thought of two appraches: 1) setting up proxy server in my PC, or 2) using the distributed version of plastic.

What would you recommend for my use case?

Thanks!

Hi Alejandro,

Both options should work fine for your case but I think that setting up a distributed workflow is easier.

It will solve the delay in the operations, you can follow this guide: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/distributed/plastic-scm-version-control-distributed-guide

If you have additional questions let me know.

Regards,

Rafael.

PlasticSCM Support Team

Thanks, Rafael.

This sounds pretty promising:

chrome_HqzJuwFQsQ.png.b835816e1066406b62da17b76901cbc5.png

I find some problems with the distributed workflow:

1.  I'ts a bit anoying to have to push/pull. And easy to forget to do it
  2. When you "pull" you will still have to wait for it to download the new stuff over the network. With the proxy approach, the server could be downloading contintinuously in  background so, when the user wants to update, the data is already downloaded.

I have tried to set up a proxy in my own PC, but looks like it was asking me for a license.

Sorry, I think I was following the wrong guide.

Does the "full installer" include the proxy server?

In the documentation it tells you to download the pwroxy installer, but I can only find the proxy portable budle: https://www.plasticscm.com/download/10.0.16.5816

If there is no installer, should I manually set it up as a windows service?

Thanks

Hi,

Firstly, it says to download the Proxy Server Installer from your downloads page. There is no Proxy Server Installer as far as I can see in your downloads, only the portable proxy server. When I download and extract that, it appears to just be a normal server?

After downloading the .NET Core Proxy server from www.plasticscm.com --> Downloads --> More installers --> Proxy server .NET Core bundle

1) Copy the following files from the "config_samples" folder to the binaries folder:

• plasticcached.conf 
  • plasticcached.log.conf 
  • plasticcached.network.conf

2) In "plasticcached.log.conf " you set the output path for the output cache folder. 
    In "plasticcached.network.con" you set the port.

3. You can run the proxy in console mode via this command:

C:\Users\albaz\Downloads\PlasticSCM-10.0.16.5432-win-x64-proxy-server-netcore\server>plasticd.exe proxy
plasticcached daemon up. 10.0.16.5432 313 ms startup time. Data path: C:\tmp\cache

4. In order to install the proxy as a Windows service:

sc.exe create plasticscmservernetcoreproxy binPath= "C:/PathTo/plasticd.exe proxy"

The proxy server by default listens on the 8085 port: YOURSERVER:8085

Could you rename the following file, restart the GUI and check if this way you can enable the proxy?
C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\client\cloudedtion.token

?name=inline114617812.png

Regards,
Carlos.