SQL Server instance login user and database user/roles

I might have missed it, but I did not see anything in the documentation regarding the rights required for an SQL Server instance/server login and/or database user. Based on functionality, we are assuming it needs dbcreator, but beyond that, I don't see anything specific that it needs.

From the documentation I read:

Once the db.conf file has been correctly set up, you have to restart the Plastic server. On start-up it will connect to the new database and create the database's repositories, workspaces, and rep_1 (the default repository), if they're not there.

Even when I was able to get the Plastic 5 server to start, there were errors of one kind or another, depending on whether I used a pre-existing database and/or trusted_connection yes/no.

The SQL user that we are using is able to login to the instance via SSMS. The user can manually create databases, tables, triggers, etc.via SSMS. Immediately following installation without changes to the db.conf file edit or Admin Tool backend change functionality, i.e. out-of-the-box installation, the following errors were found in plastic.server.log:

ERROR Codice.CM.Server.RepositoryHandler - The database repositories can't be created. Check the server log (plastic.server.log). Error: Directory lookup for the file "d:\program files\plasticscm5\server\repositories.plastic" failed with the operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).
CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.    at Codice.CM.Data.BaseDataManager.ExecuteCreateDatabaseScript(String databaseName, String contentResourceName)
   at Codice.CM.Data.BaseDataManager.CreateRepositoriesData()
   at Codice.CM.Server.RepositoryHandler.InitService()

During the database backend change to MS SQL from the default embedded database, the test connection was successful. However, even though we went through the steps of changing from the default embedded to a MS SQL Server setup, no new databases were created. I'm guessing those initial errors about not being able to find files for the initial default embedded database set up is the reason no new databases were created.

Following that, I tried various things, both with and without the auto-generated encoded SQL user password versus plain-text password. Some resulted in a failure of the Plastic 5 server to start with server-sqlserver errors. Others resulted in the server starting, but with no noticable results in the sql instance and then an error when I stopped the Plastic 5 server.

Following the documentation for:

the connection string use built-in SQL Server authentication which is basically telling Plastic to use a given user and password.

Using these db.conf settings from the documentation for SQL authentication, the following error(s) in the plastic.server.log and no login errors on the Windows server hosting the ms sql server:

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at Server:TCM INFO  Transaction - Transaction timeout -> 120000ms
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at Server:TCM FATAL SecurityManager.License.LicenseManager - Can't load information

Any direction would be appreciated.

Just in case it's needed, I attached the platic.server.log and the db.conf.

db_conf.txt

plastic_server_log.txt

Update...

I created the two base databases repositories and rep_1. I barrowed it from a previous-no-longer-with-us employees databases.

I guess the initial issues for this can be put off to the fact that the initial installations, since the embedded database backend didn't exist and, therefore, no data was available to copy to the MS SQL Server instance/databases, it didn't have some of the db-originating data that it needed to even run.

Perhaps the install could include the sql scripts for the flavors of DBMSs? Just a thought.

I still don't know if it will work, but the initial databases solved the licenseManager issue.

Archived