SQL Server data file extension .plastic instead of .mdf

Our DBA is having issues, and I get it. When databases are created, though we can specify a file name and location, we usually let the SQL Server and SQL Server Instance do that, because they have whatever settings they have. The data files all default to .mdf. That's a Microsoft standard, not something particular to our DBAs. When repositories are created by the server, The databases are created with the extension of .plastic instead of .mdf.

I tried the DatabaseSuffix setting in the db.conf, but it is a true suffix, not the file extension. What we are expecting to be stored based on our server and instance settings as PlasticSCMrep_48.mdf is stored as PlasticSCMrep_48.plastic. When I use a suffix as mdf, I get PlasticSCMrep_48mdf and a file name of PlasticSCMrep_48mdf.plastic.

If there is a way to deal with that file extension convention, my DBAs and I would appreciate knowing that.

OH! And is there a way to specify the path for the database logs? The DBAs have a separate SAN drive for the logs so that backups can be handled per drive and some other things to which I am not privvy.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived