External diff/merge tools support

AntonS

It would be great to have an option to use external diff\merge tools. 

Mostly, internal Plastic's diff/merge tools are workign fine. But sometimes I have a need to use alternative solutions.

In plastic's settings you can specify a diff/merge tool per extension. But I don't want to go to settings each time I want to check merge with external tool.

It would be great to have an option to specify external merge tool as an addition to the existing merge tools and have it as additional menu option during the resolve.

E.g. open with external merge tool.

Can you maybe elaborate why it doesn't work for you to specify the merge tool per file extension in the preferences? I believe having it per file extension is already much better than e.g. in Git where you can only chose between builtin or use a custom one which you have to specify via the commandline before every merge.

For example, my team uses Unity and has the UnityYAMLMerge tool configured as Plastics merge tool for .prefab and .unity files. 

Do you mean you would like to regularly switch between multiple merge tools for the same file extension? Which use case is that? In my limited personal experience, merge tools work pretty much the same unless they deal with custom formats such as YAML or JSON where it's important to keep the syntax intact when merging.

Indeed, the merge quality indeed is more or less the same. The differences come with conflicts. The visual representation of the conflicts and tools to work with with conflicts differs for different merge tools. Let me know if need concrete examples.