Can't find Plastic SCM Merge

Casey Hofland

Hi there, we recently got our first new team member on board and are looking to integrate them into our Unity project.

We're having trouble with a very integral part of the onboarding process. For some reason, the option to select Plastic SCM Merge doesn't show up under their Revision Control tab.224919571_PlasticSCMMerge.thumb.png.dbf04d6179bd869dce4e2fbbd90cbf62.png

Above picture is what it should look like.

We thought this to be a simple issue but honestly we're stumped. The way we remember it, we could select this option the moment Unity was set up with Plastic SCM. Regarding our new member, they've got the plastic scm software (10.0.16) and as they've already completed 2 merges we definitely know that Unity and Plastic are working together. What are we missing?

While I'm here, I also wanted to ask if there's a difference between UnityYAMLMerge and Plastic SCM Merge. Googling one always brings up the other, but I am confused about if they're the same or not.

Hi @CaseyDeCoder, the Plastic merge tool should be used by default every time that you choose to diff a change or resolve a merge conflict from within the Plastic SCM window. (There currently isn't a way to use a different merge tool to diff/resolve merge conflicts within the Plastic SCM window).

As for the difference between UnityYAMLMerge and Plastic SCM Merge, UnityYAMLMerge (aka Smart Merge) is a merge tool created by Unity to help resolve merge conflicts within Scene and Prefab assets (which are written in YAML). Whereas the Plastic SCM Merge tool is a more versatile merge tool that was created by Plastic SCM to help resolve all kinds of text-based merge conflicts.

Thank you for your reply @ryancassell.

The issue is that they can't select PlasticSCM Merge as their Revision Control Diff/Merge tool. We see differences between our setups when resolving conflicts. When I resolve conflicts, the 3-way merge window pops up for me to review, however in our new member's case they get an error message. Unfortunately I can't say what error message exactly until Monday.

One thing I can think of is that they were working directly on the cloud repo instead of on a local repo. May that have something to do with it?

Thanks for the clarification about UnityYAMLMerge, it had confused me ever since I watched an old tutorial where someone showed how to set up Smart Merge for Plastic SCM.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so, so sorry for the late response. (I didn't have email notifications in place for the forum to notify me of responses, so that's on me.)

As for the PlasticSCM Merge tool not being selectable as a Revision Control Diff/Merge tool in the Unity Preferences, that is odd and should be updated. It's used by default for the Plastic SCM window, but it should be usable for anyone using other VCS that would like to use Plastic's merge tool to diff/merge their changes. Were you ever able to get a copy of the error message your teammate was receiving when they tried to resolve conflicts?

Working on a cloud repo vs a local one shouldn't have any difference on how the merge tool is used. However, that could mean that you're working on difference workspaces that aren't synced with one another. Are you both able to sync your changes successfully?

No problem, I understand the confusion and I'm glad I could help.