Freeing cloud storage associated with deleted items

Colin - Stacking Chairs

I'd like to permanently remove some deleted items in our cloud repo to free up space, and I'd be grateful if someone could let me know if/how this can be achieved, please. I've found a couple of related threads, but these don't completely answer my question, unfortunately.

The above thread suggests trying archiving, but warns that this will not free space. I wonder if it could actually free space in the case of a cloud repo, where I would archive to a local drive. Nevertheless, I was unable to archive removed revisions, as cm archive claims that the revisions in question do not exist. This is the structure of the command I've tried:

cm find "removed on repository 'repo@org@cloud'" --format=rev:revid:{id}@repo@org@cloud --nototal | paste -d " " - | cm archive - --file=/external/archive

Is there an alternate method of archiving that will accept the removed revision IDs?

The above thread suggests deleting the changesets that added the files in question. Unfortunately, these files are not cleanly associated with a single changeset, but are rather in with other changes, making it impractical to delete changesets without collateral damage.

Thanks,
Colin

Hi @blue, thanks for the link.

I'd actually already been following the information in that link, and have previously been able to archive some old revisions from the cloud repo. The problem I'm having in this case is that cm archive (see above for specific command usage) claims that deleted revisions do not exist, and so it does not archive them.

Coming back to this afresh, I now wonder if my issue is that I'm attempting to archive the revision that was deleted, whereas I should probably be archiving all previous revisions, which would have contained actual content. How exactly I can achieve this with cm find, I'm unsure, however.

Any specific pointers regarding archiving (or otherwise cleaning) deleted content from the cloud would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin

Hi @Colin - Stacking Chairs

Thanks for waiting for the response. I have investigated if there are other ways to do it.

cm help archive

When you run this command, you should be able to see the information about the archive. The following is from the command.

cm archive rev:myfile.pdf#cs:2 -c="big pdf file" --file=c:\arch_files\arch
    (Archives the revision with changeset 2 of myfile.pdf in 'c:\archived_files'
    folder. The archived file name will start with 'arch' (for example, arch_11_56).)

Please try with the command above which specify the specific changeset number.

• 4 months later...

I have to say that this topic and similar questions are going around for quite some time..
I can see posts that are couple of years old.. and still there is no some streight forward solution to do this (for some time there wasn't any solution at all.)
Now every answer is pointing to the same confusing page. In the meantime unused files are piling up and we are just wasting our money.
I just don't get it why there isn't some button in the Plastic UI which can be used to delete old stuff and save cloud space. 
I guess this situation is lucrative for you but really bad for us users.

• Like 1

@vlad

Thanks for providing your valuable feedback. The feedback will be brought up to the team regarding a more user-friendly way to archive items.

every answer is pointing to the same confusing page.

Have you followed the link below to follow the archiving process?

https://www.plasticscm.com/download/releasenotes/10.0.16.6241#10.0.16.6241-new-4  

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/administration/plastic-scm-version-control-administrator-guide#Chapter10:Archivingrevisions