What exactly is the "--noninteractiveresolution" option doing in cm merge

Nick D

Hello, I'm looking to see if anyone can provide insight into exactly what the "--noninteractiveresolution" option for cm merge does under the hood. My company has used it as part of an automated merge tool after coming across it in this thread, but recently we've been encountering an issue where child branches are getting spun off of destination branches with the same name (i.e: /main/dev/destination/destination-2 is branching off of /main/dev/destination). Given the timing of when the branches are created and when the command is called, I was wondering if there is a link between the two and I'd like to start by getting more information on what "--noninteractiveresolution" does outside of preventing Plastic for asking the user to perform manual conflict resolution.

Hi,

--nointeractiveresolution (Mainly used by plugins. See Remarks for more info.)
                              Avoids prompting the user for manual conflict.
                              This way, a directory conflict won't be solved.

This is a bit internal flag that is maily used by our plugins.

I don't think this flag should be related to this branch creation.

Are you using Xlinks in your repo?

Regards,

Carlos.

Hi,

I remember in the past some scenarios where Plastic was creating branches with suffixes if they already existed
eg: branch-0

It is related to Xlinks and expansion rules.
if you create a new branch and you checkin some changes belonging to the Xlinked content, Plastic will try to automatically create the branch in the Xlinked repo.
If this branch name already exists, it will be created with a suffix:

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/xlinks/plastic-scm-version-control-xlinks-guide#Xlinkcreatedintoplevelbranch

Regards,

Carlos.

• Like 1