How to split a merge into smaller changesets?

Upgrayeddedd

I guess I don't really understand PlasticSCM. Well, it's different to Git and I get that, but I just don't understand how I am supposed to do this.

I have made a whole load of changes on a new branch. Well, they started as changes on main and then I checked them into a new branch.

I have made several further commits on this work branch. But those just represent different stages of the work. Like committing what I had done so I could continue from home on another PC. This is not unusual workflow.

Now I want to separate all this work into different commits that are based on some different aspects of the work I've done. Maybe some of it was fixes for NDepend, some for whitespace cleanup, some bug fixes, whatever.

But Plastic seems to want to be all or nothing, I can merge all this work back to main fine, but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to split it into a new set of changesets.

And before several people break their fingers trying to bash "hIsToRy ReWrItInG iS bAd" into their keyboards, I am a winner. I am writing history. It can be into a new branch, where in this branch, everything is done in a different order. And nothing is going to be merged back to main from the "broken" work branch, so there's no issue.

What I'm looking for is some workflow, how can I use the tools to organise a new set of changesets with my existing changes from the work branch but in a different partitioning, that I can then merge back to main?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

This is a common question comming froma  git background.

In Plastic SCM I'm afriad you cannot rewrite the repo history. I means you cannot reorganize the changesets once they are created or delete branches. In the following blog post is explained some backgrund and details about this: https://blog.plasticscm.com/2018/08/why-we-dont-delete-branches-in-plastic.html

Regards,

Carlos.