Trim to last 3 changesets

AndyAces

Sorry for the newbie question - I have looked at the blog re the trim feature and it only seems to explain trim to an asset or file.  I was hoping there is a way to trim all previous changesets leaving only the last 3?  We have major updates so all the old changes which are taking up room are no longer useable.  Thanks for any help.  Andy

14 hours ago, blue said:

Hi @AndyAces,

As you mentioned, there’s a way to trim to archive revision.

We released the "cm archive" feature for the cloud servers:
https://www.plasticscm.com/download/releasenotes/10.0.16.6241 

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Hi there, yes, thanks I have looked at that document and apologies for struggling to understand.  It seems to mention archiving files but i dont want to do that.  Is there any information on how to archive changesets?  I only want to keep the last 3 or 4 changesets since we have upgraded to a new version of unity and no longer require the old changesets.

I tried to delete them but I get an error and it says the changeset has dependents so cannot be deleted.

14 hours ago, blue said:

Hi @AndyAces,

Archiving the changeset is not possible :( . Is archiving entire repo an option for you?

Unfortunately not as the project is ongoing.  I'm really struggling to understand what trim or archive are actually for.  How I can benefit from it to reduce repo size.  Why can't i delete really old changesets? How I can trim old version of files etc.. My repo is three times the size of the actual folder now and I have no idea where to start to reduce it.  Is there a way of removing old version of all files so the current copy/version of each file is the only one stored?

@AndyAces

Unfortunately, archiving a branch is not possible. The original idea of the archive command is you can archive the big revisions of the repo to reduce the used storage.

eg:

cm find "revs where size > 26214400" --format="{item}#{branch}" \
      --nototal | cm archive -c="volume00" --file="volume00" -
    (Archives all the files bigger than 25Mb on files starting with name
    'volume00'.)

This would be great but the code above produces an error  

cm find "revs where size > 26214400" --format="{item}#{branch}" \
      --nototal | cm archive -c="volume00" --file="volume00" -
    (Archives all the files bigger than 25Mb on files starting with name
    'volume00'.)

At line:2 char:9
+       --nototal | cm archive -c="volume00" --file="volume00" -
+         ~
Missing expression after unary operator '--'.
At line:2 char:9
+       --nototal | cm archive -c="volume00" --file="volume00" -
+         ~~~~~~~
Unexpected token 'nototal' in expression or statement.
At line:3 char:73
+ ...  (Archives all the files bigger than 25Mb on files starting with name
+                                                                          ~
Missing closing ')' in expression.
At line:4 char:5
+     'volume00'.)
+     ~~~~~~~~~~
Unexpected token ''volume00'' in expression or statement.
At line:4 char:16
+     'volume00'.)
+                ~
Missing property name after reference operator.
At line:4 char:16
+     'volume00'.)
+                ~
Unexpected token ')' in expression or statement.
    + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MissingExpressionAfterOperator

I tied this too and get DNS error 

PS C:\Users\Andy> cm find "revs where size > 26214400 on repository 'TLG2020@AndyNeomam@cloud' "
cm : Error: Can't resolve DNS entry for cloud.plasticscm.com
At line:1 char:1
+ cm find "revs where size > 26214400 on repository 'TLG2020@AndyNeomam ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (Error: Can't re....plasticscm.com:String) [], RemoteException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

12 hours ago, blue said:

@AndyAces

I have executed the command below with my cloud server and size bigger than 1 and it executed on CMD successfully.

Yes I can get the find command to work but then archive does not work.  I get the below error ("$cm does not exist)

D:\PlasticArchive>cm archive $(cm find "revs where size > 26214400 on repository 'TLG2020@AndyNeoman@cloud' ")
$(cm does not exist.

I was thinking about archiving the whole project like mentioned above - How would I do that (I read the link and it doesn't seem to give the command) I presume if I archive the whole project to my own storage the plastic storage will be zero and I can then reupload the project on a new repo and be at base storage space again - is that right?  That might be the perfect solution.

@AndyAces If the command is not working, please try to use the command in https://www.plasticscm.com/download/releasenotes/10.0.16.6241

I was thinking about archiving the whole project like mentioned above - How would I do that (I read the link and it doesn't seem to give the command) I presume if I archive the whole project to my own storage the plastic storage will be zero and I can then reupload the project on a new repo and be at base storage space again - is that right?  That might be the perfect solution.

As manu suggested in the link below, you can use a syncview and make sure that the source is local and the destination is cloud and you can pull repo from destination to source. It will allow you to sync the repo in the cloud to the local repo. So you can save the local repo's DB.

If you wish to delete the repo in the cloud, make sure that you have a copy of it as there's no way to recover it.

How do I delete cloud repositories? https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047452071--Cloud-How-do-I-delete-cloud-repositories-

Deleting the repository does not update your storage value. The storage used in the month still will be charged as it was used even if it was deleted. 

If you still need assistance on this, you can open a ticket with Plastic SCM support. 

• 6 months later...