Inconsistent user colors

Wolfram

It is great that the custom user colors (as defined in branchexplorerusercolors.conf, and configurable via BranchExplorer=>ChangesetColors) are now available in the new PlasticX GUI as well!

I also like the fact that users get assigned "random-but-specific" default colors, depending on their user name, and that these default colors can then be modified to custom colors via the menu above. This is a vital feature for us, as the random colors are often indistinguishable in our team of about 15 users.

However, currently there is an inconsistency where the custom colors are used for the changeset color tag in the Branch Explorer (see image 3) - but the "original" random user color is still used for all other visualizations, like the changeset mouse-over (see image 2), or the history view, and so on. This is quite confusing, as now the user has TWO colors associated with him.

This seems like a bug. So instead, once a user color has been customized, that color should be used in ALL places where a user-specific color is shown.

It would be helpful if you could fix this. 🙂 

Cheers,

Wolfram

image.png

image.png

ColorsByUser3.png

@Wolfram, Thanks for giving us this feedback.

I have to argue that this is not a bug, as the feature you are referring to is named "Changeset Colors", so these colors should only apply to the changesets within the Branch Explorer view.

I cannot argue that having two colors assigned to each user is not intuitive at all, and we should unify these somehow. I'll bring this up with the Product Management team as I believe your suggestion of decoupling this feature from the Branch Explorer and expanding it to the whole application is a fantastic idea.

• Like 1