Delete changeset deleted newly added files.

mcd

I recently deleted a changeset in which one of the changes was the addition of some source that were private files. I naively expected that those files would just revert to being private, but actually, the files are instead just deleted. Poof. Gone. I'm not sure if this is the intended behavior, but this definitely seems wrong.

Anyway to recover those files?

Using 5.0.44.528 - Budapest. All actions done via Plastic client gui.

Hi,

Sorry, but private items are local items that are not under source control. If you commit the changes and then delete the changeset,  I´m afraid that it´s not possible to recover them.

We recommend to use the "subtractive merge" or the "revert" operations instead of "delete changeset", because this way you are tracking the changes and not losing the information.

Regards,

Carlos

With all due respect, but this is a SOURCE CONTROL platform is it not?!

Why would it EVER delete source files unless specifically requested to do so?! (UNRECOVERABLY!)

Where in the documentation, or anywhere for that matter, have you communicated that "Delete Changeset" UNRECOVERABLY deletes files that have no previous versions in the db?! This is kind of crazy, don't you think?! At least give a warning?

IMO, this is a bug. IMO, Deleting a Changeset should delete the CHANGES. If a changeset was to ADD a private file to the DB, then deleting that changeset should REVERSE THE ADD, NOT KILL THE FILE.

Mostly though, I think it's just not very well documented or explained.

I have to ask though now... are there other commands with little to no documentation that will delete my source files without me asking?

Hi,

This is a source control control, right. But if you delete the changeset, branches, databases... It´s not a source control any more.  If you use the SCM operations to revert file to a previous version (revert operation),  undoing changes in a changeset (subtractive merge), you will be able always to recover the information.  You can read more info about these operations in the introduction guide:  

http://plasticscm.com/documentation/user/plastic-scm-version-control-introduction-guide.shtml#Changesets

The delete changeset operation should used very very carefully and only in the specific situation where we want to delete information in the repository history. Actually, this operation is only allowed when it´s the last changeset of the branch, cannot be labelled, cannot be the source of a merge of any type, and cannot be the parent of other changeset.

I´m sorry for the inconveniences.

Regards,

Carlos

Archived