Have some questions on pending changes

nikhilhs

Hi!

No, we don't use changelists in Plastic, but we normally use branches to achieve even better results.

Take a look at http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2010/08/branch-per-task-workflow-explained.html and please let me know what you think.

When you add a file it goes directly to the repo (added, now from the GUI we add and checkin on a single step).

But, if you prefer to use a "svn like" cycle (or git like) you can just add everything during checking looking for "private" files.

Hope it helps.

pablo

• 3 months later...

I apologize for bringing back an old thread, but I'm about to setup plastic scm, and though I'd try to use it "properly" instead of a perforce replacement. I have a couple questions on branch per task

1) If you're working on multiple tasks, wouldn't this leave multiple copies of your code on your hard disk?

2a) How would you use this with TeamCity? Should I only have it build and unit test the mainline and major branches?

2b) Can you do a try-build on a merge?

Hi!

- If you're working on multiple tasks/branches: normally you'll just switch your workspace to a different branch, so just a single copy (unless you want to use separate workspaces, up to you but not mandatory).

- You can build and unit test all branches, whether you do it on a build server or not depends on your setup. You can set an attribute to a branch/task, something like "finished", and then run the tests (have your server polling for branches in "done" status)

- "Try-build" on a merge? You mean without checking in?

• 2 weeks later...
- If you're working on multiple tasks/branches: normally you'll just switch your workspace to a different branch, so just a single copy (unless you want to use separate workspaces, up to you but not mandatory).

Does plastic recognize that the branch has changed, and then only update what's different between the branches?

- "Try-build" on a merge? You mean without checking in?

Yes, in Perforce and SVN, I'm able to have it attempt a build without checking it in. If the build is successful, then it is checked in. I do this using a TeamCity plugin.

> Does plastic recognize that

> the branch has changed, and

> then only update what's different

> between the branches?

Absolutely. That's how the update works.

> Yes, in Perforce and SVN,

> I'm able to have it attempt

> a build without checking it in.

> If the build is successful,

> then it is checked in. I do this

> using a TeamCity plugin.

Then it means you run the tests on the same workspace you use to perform changes, right? If so, I don't see why you can't do the same in Plastic.

pablo

Archived