PlasticPlugin looping through "Updating/Checking Files" on every UE project

gharris

explorer_xfCzBicPAB.gif.e18a70892e2bcabe26c9281651cbd5e4.gif

See attached gif for example.

This is absolutely driving me crazy. I've wasted days on this so far. PlasticSCM used to work no problem with UE, but now is not working at all. It seemed to start happening after I built/rebuilt a project in Visual Studio, but that could be a total red herring.

Reproduction:
1. Start new Unreal 5.1 blank c++ project
2. Click "Source Control" when open
3. Follow setup guide precisely as listed here for Engine OR Project setup: https://github.com/PlasticSCM/UEPlasticPlugin#readme, using correct username, waiting for "Checking Files Into Source Control" to complete before finishing the dialog, etc.
4. Verify that source control is now enabled and there are no errors.
5. Save all in UE, save all in Visual Studio.
6. Close UE and Visual Studio.
7. Start project from explorer OR from Epic Games Launcher
8. Wait for project to load..
8a. At about ~90% loaded, observe the loop shown in attached gif, displaying "Checking/Updating..." while trying to load /StarterContent/Architecture/Floor_400x400
8b. Wait a few minutes while this loop drives you crazy.
9. Observe that UE finishes loading.
10. Click on Source Control and "View Changelist".
11. Observe a change list of 267 files, while 3,626 need to be checked for reconcile. See attached "changedAssets.png"
changedAssets.thumb.png.e506c9b4210d6a4b47923789e3f1a53f.png
12. Close out of UE and look at logs to see a huge list of items being checked out and wonder why the heck things aren't working anymore: MyProject.log

I'm also attaching "backup" logs.

• I have uninstalled and reinstalled Unreal 5.1 and PlasticSCM, for the record. When I do "cm version" in the Command Prompt I get "11.0.16.7726" back. Same thing when I do "cm version in UE"
  • If I do a checkin of all these files, the same exact thing happens again. All of the files are loaded again with only their dates/times being changed, see "changedAssets.png" above.
  • If I open up PlasticSCM I see the same list of assets ready to be checked in once again. See SCM GUI for an example:
    SCMGUI.thumb.png.f19a93aa68d76ee64eb656b13b8f55e5.png

PlasticSCM used to work so well, so easily. Now I can't do any work in UE without endangering everything I do. I am at the end of my rope, and am thankful for any help anyone has to offer!

Thanks,

Grant

MyProject-backup-2023.01.24-22.48.28.log MyProject-backup-2023.01.24-22.31.04.log MyProject-backup-2023.01.24-22.05.00.log MyProject-backup-2023.01.24-22.56.37.log

Adding /StarterContent to my cloaked AND ignore lists don't seem to do anything here. This time when I load up the project I get this "check out assets" dialog.checkoutAssets.png.8fe70f5a82f7af8a7f849f96eb297d7c.png

When I click "Check out Selected" I get "The following assets could not be successfully checked out from source control:
/Game/StarterContent/Architecture/Floor_400x400"

unabletoCheckout.png.31b4a7a949777260e9e48ee1bdac1c91.png

If I click OK, UE opens. Then when I try to "save all" I get the CheckoutAssets Dialog again:
checkoutAssets.png.8fe70f5a82f7af8a7f849f96eb297d7c.png

Then the "Could not check this out" dialog above. Over and over until I choose "Make Writable."
Then, next time I open the project I have to wait for the "Updating/Checking" loop again for ~5 min:
explorer_xfCzBicPAB.gif.36c5d889b35bf4ff743277ab6c542e46.gif

What an absolutely godawful experience.

I've attached the logs.MyProject.log

Thanks,

Grant

ignore.conf cloaked.conf

Hello @gharris

I don't know if you still need help on that?
Thanks a lot for the detailed post, the provided logs and all, it could be very useful!

From what maters, I believe that what you are reporting is totally unrelated to the source control plugin, or Plastic SCM;
it seems to me that the Unreal Editor believe that every asset is outdated, need to be upgraded to a newer version of the Engine or something like that, and as such checkout them all!

Let me know if you ever reproduce it, in which case we would need to look at Unreal logs (and perhaps report the bug to Epic Games themselves)

Cheers!
Sébastien

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We're evaluating plasticscm for Unreal Engine, and we are facing the same issue.
I created a default new project, followed the github documentation about setting up plastic in UE.
Now, when I launch UE, I get the same dialog as shown in the previous post ("Updating file", "Checking file"), and once UE has launched I can see a bunch of checked out out files in StarterContent directory. It makes the workflow very tedious.
Using UE 5.1.0 and plastic plugin 1.7.1 (We have the same behaviour with the default installed plugin, which is 1.6.something)

As a comparison I tried with another source control (perforce) and I don't have this behavior

Any idea ?

Thank you

Hey @dwu, I am sorry to hear that; I'd love to get an eye to the Unreal Editor log files from your project! (from <Project>/Saved/Logs/<Project>.log)

As mentioned earlier, I think that it would have to do with something that the Unreal Editor doesn't understand/doesn't like, like the version of an asset. Perhaps one template is outdated, and the assets need to be resaved.
(And it would be possible that Perforce doesn't trigger the same behavior since in Perforce the assets are "readonly" by default so the Editor cannot touch them, or some similar explanation).

I am installing the StarterContent in the just released UE5.1.1 to see if I can reproduce the issue with a new project; can you give me more details on what template project you have been using?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 4:20 PM, DejanL said:

I can also reproduce the bug too. it is happening with every restart of the unreal engine however I can confirm that after I switched UE to the git or perforce plugin I don't have this kind of issue. so it must be something with plastic scm plugin.

Could you post your logs please? Here or perhaps even better in a support ticket?
Reproducing the issue isn't trivial since it doesn't happen in template projects in my experience