5.4 or 5.0 Why choose one over the other?

Xorcist

This is the first time I've returned to Plastic looking grab an update, only to find a definitive split... I'm running 5.0.44.577 at the moment. Should I update to the latest 5.0 release or make the jump to 5.4? Are 5.4 and 5.0 going to be maintained side-by-side? Will there be any issues upgrading to 5.4? What will I gain in going to 5.4? I'm not sure what's new about 5.4 that might hold me back, download page didn't really seem to give me enough information to make a solid decision... can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Sure!!

5.4 = 5.0 + New Features

New Features:

Faster (Update and Checkin)

New GameUI GUI.

Custome EOL management

Merge tracking improvements (2D revision diagram)

Better GiySync and P4Sync

Faster Pending changes view.

Transformable workspaces rules (allows to modify the workspace structure locally)

... And much more small details.....

The 5.4 release is constantly receiving new features that will break the client-serve compatibility so if you decide to go for 5.4 the next upgrade,almost sure, you'll need to upgrade both client and server installation. You know that the tree first version numbers determine if the compatibility is possible or not. The 5.4.15.606 release for example is nor compatible with the 5.4.16.619 release.

Notice that you can also review the release notes of the 5.4 releases -> http://www.plasticscm.com/download/releasenotes/5.4.16.619

If you have any question regarding new features don't hesitate to ask! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi manu,

So we are currently running Plastic 5.0.

There are a few complaints among my team such as:

1. You can't update your workspace if you have pending changes. SVN and Git allow this, except if there would be a conflict.
  2. You can't commit if someone else commited a new changeset. This is fine, except #1 can cause a loop of nonsense...
  3. If something does merge successfully, there is a merge link and it looks like you made local changes to a novice user. This spooks any non-technical person, who immediately thinks "I didn't change that!"

With us, compound the fact we have animators and artists using Plastic, you can see where a non-technical person could get lost. Generally our programmers don't have any issues.

Does 5.4 address any of these if we upgrade?

Also, is 5.4 considered the new stable version now?

Thanks,

Hi!

You can't update your workspace if you have pending changes. SVN and Git allow this, except if there would be a conflict.

Actually you can configure that behavior. Preferences -> Other Options -> Behavior when trying to switch/update.....

It's not a 5.0/5.4 thing.

You can't commit if someone else commited a new changeset. This is fine, except #1 can cause a loop of nonsense...

You can do it :S Checkout the first files, that should be enough.

If something does merge successfully, there is a merge link and it looks like you made local changes to a novice user. This spooks any non-technical person, who immediately thinks "I didn't change that!"

This is better handled in Plastic SCM 5.4 :)

With us, compound the fact we have animators and artists using Plastic, you can see where a non-technical person could get lost. Generally our programmers don't have any issues.

You need the new GameUI!!!!!! :)

(or your artist need it :P)

It's going to really help them! The update and checkin operations are really smooth.

Archived