XLink for latests changeset and evaluation guide

Misieq

Hello

I started evaluating PlasticSCM and I am trying to set-up first repositories.

I'd like to know if there is a possibility to set-up link to latests version of changeset/file/directory in other repository (something like XLink but pointing always to latest version when workarea is updated).

I went through documentation on PlasticSCM page and found only info about XLink - but it looks that it is always fixed to one changeset.

BTW - I have finished "Evaluation guide" and pushed my changes to server some time ago. I still did not received confirmation e-mail. Did I do something wrong?

Thank you in advance for support.

Hi!

You can't create xlinks targeting LAST because the Plastic SCM changesets are immutable.

Now you can always go back to a certain changeset or label and always download the same content. Targeting LAST instead a certain remote changeset will break the changeset immutability, for example the changeset #876 (label V5.0-final) was compiling yesterday but it's not doing so today because the zlib xlinked in now producing weird results combined with the server queries. Maybe tomorrow the same label will work again... or not.

On the other hand, I can understand that sometimes it's useful to target LAST, for those situations (that will be decreasing as soon you start using xlinks) you can create a small script that will update the xlink to the latest changeset in the branch. But I really recommend to use xlinks as they were designed, that is using the auto target update done through the merge and checkin operation.

I'll review why you didn't receive a confirmation of the evaluation guide daemon.

Hi

Thank you for prompt answer.

Maybe I will shortly describe what is my use case.

So we have so called development branch which is dedicated for SW which is integrated (all modules put together) - let's call it "Integration".

Individual modules documentation and Unit Tests are stored in different repository (let's call it "BasicSW" to not overload complete SW (and as they are not a part of delivery they even shall not be present in complete package).

With my current VCS I have it configured in such way that whatever where source code will be modified (in either in "Integration" or in "BasicSW") it will always appear in both.

This allows us to get "BasicSW" repo on our Jenkins server for running UT (on daily basis).

"Integration" repo is also compiled on daily basis on specific Integration Tests are performed with such complete package.

I accept the risk that some "non-compilable" code appears in "Integration". For this is why we also build it with "on change" trigger.

Main purpose of separating repos was as I wrote - separation of non-deliverable data from deliverable data but with synchronization.

Is there any other alternative in PlasticSCM which could be used for scenario which I described?

Thank you in advance.

I can't find any workaround to cover that, sorry.

With Plastic you can also have multiple repositories (it's recommended in order to have the full picture cleaner) but the way you manage what is going to be integrated is using the merge operation, we think it's clearer, safer, and you always have tracking of what you are testing/releasing.

BTW, your evaluation went fine and the email was re-sent, it was a problem with the mailing daemon.... sorry for the inconveniences :P 

Archived