Authentication method selection moved to the server

marioo

We've recently upgraded from PlasticSCM 5 to 5.4. I noticed that the client no longer decides what authentication method to use. In PlasticSCM 5 we had an ActiveDirectory authentication selected in the server configuration. On the other hand, the clients used either ActiveDirectory or LDAP authentication modes.

Some of us work in the same network the PlasticSCM server runs. They log in to their Windows accounts using their AD credentials. If I remember correctly, those users could use ActiveDirectory authentication mode in PlasticSCM 5, so they did not have to specify their credentials separately in PlasticSCM client configuration.

The rest of us work remotely and use local users for Windows authentication. We could so far use LDAP authentication in PlasticSCM client 5, providing our AD credentials in PlasticSCM configuration.

Because now the server forces authentication mode, it seems that we have to switch it to the LDAP mode. However, this will force all AD users to specify their user names and passwords now.

Don't you think that when the server's authentication mode is set to Active Directory, PlasticSCM client should either let the user use Windows credentials, or specify credentials manually?

• 3 months later...

Hi, I replied to a previous forum post with a similar issue, but this still does not seem to be fixed in the latest version of Plastic?  Is there an ETA on when this will be available?  

Also, for some reason the client just crashed for one of us and the authentication information was removed from the client.conf file.  So we had to go back through the process of running the command line tool.  This is also a hassle for new users that need to use LDAP, so it would be great to know when the normal UI will have the option to pick LDAP on the client.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I need to resurrect this thread. We want to switch to ADWorkingMode. However, some of our developers are not working on workstations that are integrated into our domain. They are connected through VPN instead. Those developers need to be able to enter their username/password combination explicity. Running the Server in LDAPWorkingMode is not an option for us.

The clconfigureclient works, However, the GUI solution would be so much(!) more convenient and should be a no brainer.

Whats the schedule for this modification?

Best regards

Jan

Archived