Xlink selected folders

jakeslack27

Hi,

I'm using Plastic GU client alongside the Unity game engine and have to say the experience so far has been tremendous.  I'm really enjoying finally being able to share code & assets across mutliple Unity projects.  However, one thing I would like to do is Xlink only selected folders from a changeset.  

For instance, I have a project called 'AssetLibrary' under source control.  This is a Unity project which comes with all the standard Unity project files.  The main function of this project is to prepare final assets to be used across multiple other projects (for multiple other games).  Ideally I would like to Xlink just the 'FinalAssets' folder from within the 'AssetLibrary' project space as this includes the important assets I want included in other projects, none of the non-important chaff.  However, I see I can only Xlink the full changeset, this means I have to get all the other project files I do not want to share.  Removing the project files from source control is not an option as they are important to the 'AssetLibrary' project.

So my question, is there anyway to create a "sub-workspace/changeset" if you will that includes only select folders from the parent workspace?  Or, is there anyway to specify which folders you want included/ignored in an Xlink?

If this feature is not available are there any workarounds?

Many thanks, Jake

Hi,

You will be happy to know that we are implementing the support to point subdirectories instead of just the root of the repository when using readonly Xlinks.

Other possibilities are:

- Adding to the "Cloaked list" the items you don´t want to download from the shared repositopry. Cloaked items are items that the update operation won't download by default from the repository to the workspace. http://plasticscm.com/documentation/gui/plastic-scm-version-control-gui-guide.shtml

- You can also think on splitting the shared repository in different repositiories.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

So I have a Lib repo.  This is added to my main project using an wXlink.  I may be misunderstanding something but I assumed if I made changes to my wXlink scripts inside the main project, plastic would replicate the changes in the original Lib repo.  This isn't happening?  Am I missing something?

Hi,

Yes,

If you have a wXlink pointing to Lib repo and you perform a change, a new changeset will be created in both repositories. 

Even if you create a new branch, this new branch will be autoexpanded as well to the Xlinked repository.

Please, check this guide for more information: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/xlinks/plastic-scm-version-control-xlinks-guide.shtml#Chapter3:XlinkExpansionRules

Regards,

Carlos.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, not sure why this didn't work when I tried but everything seems to be working ok now.

Any update on when "pointing to select directories...when reading Xlinks" will be available.  Breaking a Unity project out into sub-projects works with Xlinks but what if I don't want each and every directory from the sub-project?  I could create workspaces in a different way but then I loose source control in the editor :( 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Was support for linking only specific folders of a xlinked repo ever implemented? I have the same use case.

We have a repo of shared Unity code:

SharedProject
  Assets
    ToolA
    ToolB

And then our current main project, where we would like to include only a subfolder of the shared project:

MyProject
  Assets
    Plugins
      ToolA* (from SharedProject)

As suggested, it would in theory work, to make ToolA and ToolB their own repositories, but then we would have to manage a large amounts of repositories and they would only work when xlinked into another repository that has the Unity folder structure set up around them. What I like about our current SharedProject is that it works on its own to test and develop features inside of it. Also, many of our tools have dependencies between them and its simple to manage if they are all part of the same SharedProject, but would require lots of dependency management if broken apart into different repos. That would be the point where xlinks seem less attractive than a package manager (like NPM), but I was trying to get away from packages because they have their own set of issues.

• Like 1