Z_DATA_ERROR when updating workspace after migration

DragDen

Greetings everyone.

As preparation for transition from Community License to Team License we tried migrating to several database backends (we used MS SQL Server).

Both Firebird and SQL CE migrations failed because few branches had a comment with length more than 1000 symbols.

After this we tried SQLite. Migration was successful, but now when we try to rollback to earlier changeset, every changed file fail to update with Z_DATA_ERROR error.

After I found branches with big comments and shortened them, migration to Firebird also was successful, but updating workspace still leads to the same error.

I attached screenshot of this error.

The only errors in logs are these:

2015-01-19 13:46:40,014 WARN  filters - PathValueMatcher: Error parsing line:       # Plastic SCM custom file types. Syntax: <extension>:<type>. Type can be 'txt' or 'bin'.

Plastic Version: 5.4.16.635

post-28250-0-44967200-1421664500_thumb.png

Hi!

Notice that SQLite or SqlServer CE are good only for one developer I do recommend you to use MySQL.

Try to export the repository to MySQL and if it fails too you can do the following:

1) Install Plastic SCM in another machine.

2) Open each repository database (rep_X) and increase the comments lengh.

"5.0.44.598" release.

Release notes:

New
Server: Now, the maximum comment size can be manually
configured.
To configure this parameter, add a new tag in the
server's 'db.conf' file, named 'CommentLimit'
in order to set the value for the maximum
allowed comment length (in characters).
Example:
<DbConfig>
<CommentLimit>2000</CommentLimit>
</DbConfig>

However, this configuration will require the sysadmin
to manually alter the database tables to match
this new value (see column 'scomment' on table 'object').
The comment length limit is set to 1000 characters
by default.
Even so, importing data (cm sync or cm fast-import) will
only store the first 1000 characters of incoming comments,
no matter which value is contained in the 'CommentLimit' tag.

Warning: Please note that replication operations may fail
if servers have different comment length limits.
Please make sure that all involved servers have their
'CommentLimit' tag set to the same value in the 'db.conf'
file and their repository databases have been modified
accordingly.

3) Replicate the content from one repository to another. You can use a Sync view to save human time.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I'm posting in this topic as I've done exactly the same:

With migration to 5.4.16.664 and in preparation of the new license (switching to team license in progress),

I've migrated from MS SQL Server to SQL CE. After testing everything appeared to work. Now, two

weeks after the migration i'm receiving Z_DATA_ERROR when trying to open older items from the database.

At this time I'm unable to compile as some files went missing during a merge operation and I can't revert 

them due to the error. 

I've also tried checking out to a new workspace without success (i can't extract a substantial number of files).

Any help is greatly appreciated

• 1 year later...

Sorry to reopen an old thread but guess what - happened to me.   

Brand-new Windows 10 machine.   Brand-new Plastic SCM client install - version .  Authenticate to plastic server ok.

Creating very first workspace (by joining existing project). First Update and... 8 files are listed with "Z_DATA_ERROR" out of perhaps 40 that should be there (plus subdirectories).

So what I tried was copying the 8 files from a good version of the source, then in Pending changes, they were listed as "Added and Pirvate items - 8 of 8 items selected".  But I can't add from there - get error "Can't add an entry with the same name. Duplicated child [filename]. Parent []"

So the data in the repository is presumably damaged.  But how do I fix it?  Well... I tried this and a few weird things happened.

Delete all the files from the workspace again.  Now under 'pending changes' they come up as 8 of 8 Deleted items.  Check in the delete. Now copy the good files back in. They come up as "added and private"  Attempt to check in. Same problem "Can't add an entry with the same name..."

But now, when I attempt to update the workspace, only two files are coming up with Z_DATA_ERROR.  The other files seem to be around. Worse the changeset that should have deleted them never appears to have made the database.  So presumably the bad ones are still in there.

I deleted the workspace and recreated - back to the bad 8 files.  So indeed, my attempts to fix don't work.

I tried another workspace-  similar era of repository creation. Same problems.  But yet another repository is fine. 

This may explain some problems I've had with annotate and diff operations failing, which I was suspicious had to do with file type or file size+file type but now probably have to do with bad repository data.

Now I have  good copies of all the files that are damaged, so I if I could find a way to force them into the repository, but ... how?

Thanks

Walter

• 3 weeks later...

For a follow-up to my end.  The problem was clearly related to conversion from SQL Server to SQL CE last year -for whatever reason, the repository didn't convert properly.  This was not noticed immediately because everyone's working copies were still ok and so were new commits.   However any access to the corrupted change sets (such as from a history or diff, or attempting to create a new workspace) was finding the errors.

Solved for me by taking the original SQL Server backup (before migration) then replicating the changesets since.  I suggest anyone else with Z_DATA_ERROR should log a ticket with support since it isn't clear there is only one cause and the solutions will depend on your situation.

THanks for your help Carlos,

Archived