Use of Plastic without network?

hunteke

Hi Plastic Community,

I'm new to PlasticSCM, but well-versed in other DVCS tools (e.g., Git, Mercurial, Bazaar).  One of the features I really like in those tools is an ability -- indeed an active choice -- to ignore the network unless absolutely necessary.  From simple actions, like making a commit and creating a branch, to slightly more esoteric actions like viewing the log or generating arbitrary patches, the DVCS tools to which I'm accustomed do not require network access unless actively sharing code (pushing or pulling).  This has huge benefits in terms of speed, but more importantly, allows me to work when, for whatever reason (vacation, coffee shop, restricted ports network), I do not have network access.

Does PlasticSCM have this ability?  Is it a configuration issue, or perhaps some version of caching I need to implement?  Currently, I'm noting that these behaviors seem to require access to our main server (I presume to check the license).  Since we currently have a server issue, this is preventing me from making timely commits, and I'd like to work around my administrator's apparent time constraints.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi,

You will just need a local server to perform those actions. You will be able to perform all the operations locally: commit, create branch...Then, when necessary and the network is enabled you can push/pull your local changes to the central server.

This the tipical Plastic distributed scenario where each developer works locally in his own server. We have some documents and blog posts explaining a distribuited Plastic scenario:

http://plasticscm.com/documentation/distributed/plastic-scm-version-control-distributed-guide.shtml#Chapter3:Distributedscenarios

Let me know if it´s what you were looking for.

Regards,

Carlos.

Okay, as I understand that documentation, it still requires a second computer (server), where the 2nd computer might be on the LAN.  Correct?

So, if I intend to work from my notebook computer, with my ethernet cable unplugged and my wireless turned off, I would need to install a Plastic server to localhost, yes?

Archived