How to remove files from the Repository Server

tethysinteractive

Greetings fellow devs!

We have had a great experience with Plastic SCM so far, though we have sometimes found it hard to find answers to some of the questions we have. A google search provides a maddening amount of results that don't seem to address our current question so here it is. :)

We use Plastic SCM with Unity (the free limited version of Plastic for indies). When I first made the repo and committed, I accidentally let it send up the Library folder from Unity. That was a no no of course, but in my frustration of not being able to find the answer to this question then, I went ahead and just set Library to ignore and hidden. I believe this has caused major issues with our new developers as every time they update they get all these file conflicts. I have moved a number of packages around in the project and deleted others, upgraded some as well over the last 10 months. I have never had any of these conflicts personally, but again my Library doesn't update to what is on the server, which again is from 10 months ago. I had a theory that perhaps the old Library is conflicting with my other new developers updates as it would seem Unity is going fix the library based on the current meta files every time he opens the project, but then when he updates it pushes him the old library, which then causes conflicts.

In any case, we want to know how to remove files from the repository - not just delete them from the workspace locally. Normally this wouldn't be an issue as I would delete them and the repo would remove them - however its not an option with the Library directory as Unity will rebuild if it is deleted and it makes no sense to have this folder in the repo since were using version control with meta files.

So, how might I, with admin rights to our server, remove something like this Library folder from the actual repo, instead of just deleting it locally from the workspace? Thanks for taking the time to read and offer any advice!

Hi Chris!

look you need to review if the Library directory is still present in the HEAD changeset of your top level branches.

You can use the "Browse repository" feature to do that, so open the branch explorer then go to the latest changeset on the "/main" branch, right click it and select "Browse repository on this changeset". A new tab wil be oppened and you can use the Ctrl+F shortcut to navigate to the Library directory, if the Library directory is still there switch your workspace to that certain changeset and use the delete context menu action to remove the directory. 

You can choose to preserve the directory on disk (I recommend you to do that) and finally checkin the delete operation.

You can propagate this changeset by merging or cherry-picking the changeset to different branches.

Notice that developers updating their workspaces to the latest changeset on main will get the "Library" directory removed, I'm not sure if Unity will be able to rebuild it automatically, if not please share your Library directory with your coworkers.

Ahh thank you, was able to take your advice only to find out that we actually remembered to exclude the Library, so that wasn't our issue. Thanks for the tip, if I cannot figure out what is causing these errors with one of our developers (he keeps getting Access to the path denied on random files it seems - I check on my end and they are not set to read only) by looking through some more posts I'll come back and leave the details.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2aiw9oiry350wfr/PlasticSCM.png?dl=0

Hi!

I've seen that error before under the following circumstances:

1) A file is created with admin permissions and then Plastic (run as a regular user) tries to modify/remove/move it -> Windows can't access to that file with a regular user and the error is shown.

2) A file is being used by another tool (Unity? Notepad? MonoStudio? VS?) and Plastic tries to modify/remove/move it -> Plastic can get the file hook and the error is shown.

Archived