holyfuzz

Does PlasticSCM support "public" repositories?

Hello,

My company is developing a video game, and we would like to provide every player who buys our game read-only access to our entire source code & asset history (via whichever SCM solution we end up choosing). Does PlasticSCM support read-only access to a repo by potentially tens-of-thousands of users?

PlasticSCM looks pretty great for game development, but the ability to share our repo with our paying customers is a hard requirement.

Thanks!

Does PlasticSCM support read-only access to a repo by potentially tens-of-thousands of users?

In addition to the security setting within PlasticSCM itself mantioned by Carlos, PlasticSCM can also sync to GitHub or other repositories that would allow your customers access to the code without them having to have a PlasticSCM license.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

My question is really about licensing. Obviously, my company can't afford to pay for a license for every customer who has read access to the repo. Is there any kind of licensing available where only users with write access require a paid license?

We can't really use GitHub for this, because of both Git scaleability issues with binary assets and GitHub's restrictions on repository size and file size.

Hi!

you are lucky! you can setup an "Anonymous" user with the "ci" permission denied, that user will not be able to checking therefore the license will not be consumed.

You might want also to remove more permissions in order create a full read only profile:

rename

changecomment

rmrepository

rmchangeset

rmlabel

rmtrigger

rmattr

mkchilbranch

mktop-levelbranch

mklabel

mkattr

mktrigger

mergefrom

applylable

replicatewrite

add

change

move

rm

adancequery

On 3/9/2015 at 7:18 PM, calbzam said:

Plastic has a fine grained permissions system (per server, users, repository, path...). You can configure the readonly acces to your desired user groups.

Is this also available for the Cloud Edition ?

On 3/11/2015 at 8:04 AM, naris said:

In addition to the security setting within PlasticSCM itself mantioned by Carlos, PlasticSCM can also sync to GitHub

Does PlasticSCM support Github's two factor authentication ?
I am trying to sync my PlasticSCM repo to github using gitsync, but I am having login credential errors.

Is this also available for the Cloud Edition ?

Yes, you can confiure your permissions the same way via Plastic GUI for your cloud repos.

Does PlasticSCM support Github's two factor authentication ?
I am trying to sync my PlasticSCM repo to github using gitsync, but I am having login credential errors.

We don't support the two-factor authentication but you can generate a token and then use it as a GitSync password.

In GitHub, you have to drive to "Settings -> Developers -> Personal Access Tokens (https://github.com/settings/tokens)".
Then you click on "Generate new token" (https://github.com/settings/tokens/new". You can enter a description and enable the following options:
"repo" (_Full control of private repositories_) and "user:email" (_Access user email addresses (read-only)_).

Once you generate the token, you can enter it in Plastic when running GitSync in the password field.

Regards,

Carlos.

14 hours ago, calbzam said:

Once you generate the token, you can enter it in Plastic when running GitSync in the password field.

It worked. Thank you very much !

14 hours ago, calbzam said:

Yes, you can confiure your permissions the same way via Plastic GUI for your cloud repos.

Hm, I am a bit confused here.
My goal is to open my PlasticSCM repo (Cloud Edition, read-only) to everyone with Internet access, like Github.
Using the above GitSync can achieve this goal, but to make it simpler, I'd rather avoid using git altogether.
So, a few questions regarding this:

1. Can I give public access to everyone without adding them as "users" via the Cloud Dashboard, which AFAIK, I would need to do first ?

2. What information would I need to share so that users can access my repository (read-only) ? Would something like repo_name@myaccount_name@cloud be sufficient ?

1. Can I give public access to everyone without adding them as "users" via the Cloud Dashboard, which AFAIK, I would need to do first ?

In order to run a GitSync or any operation with a Plastic repo, the user needs to be registered and invited in your cloud organization.

2. What information would I need to share so that users can access my repository (read-only) ? Would something like repo_name@myaccount_name@cloud be sufficient ?

They can run the sync via Plastic GUI (sync with git) or via console "cm sync --help". They will need to know the repo name and they will need to be existing users in your cloud organization.

I think the security guide may be useful for you: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/security/plastic-scm-version-control-security-guide

Regards,

Carlos.