eclipse for linux broke

naris

Since the ubuntu packages have been updated to remove the non-native plastic command and replaced it with gtkplastic, I am no longer able to use the eclipse plugin on my ubuntu system as it is no longer able to start the plastic program that was replaced. I now get this error message when I click the "Diff Changeset" menu item from a changeset in the branch explorer inside eclipse:

There was a problem between the IDE and Plastic SCM communication through the console. Cannot run program "plastic" : error=2, No such file or directory

Oddly enough, other operations do work inside eclipse, such as the branch explorer itself, checking files in & out, viewing history, etc.

I suspect that a new version of the eclipse plugin might be required. Unfortunately ever since the linux version was migrated to packages instead of an installer there does not seem to be any way of obtaining the eclipse plugin on linux systems other than sending an e-mail to support.

This really is not acceptable, there should at least be a way to obtain the eclipse plugin form the eclipse marketplace, an eclipse update site or at least a way to download a zip file of the most recent version or something. I have created a suggestion to do this (http://plasticscm.uservoice.com/forums/15467-general/suggestions/7276470-provide-a-way-to-get-eclipse-integration-for-linux).

Hi,

Yes, sorry we are going to publish the Eclipse and IntelliJ plugins for Linux users in our web page. Could you tell me the version you have installed?  I will send you the .jar files to manually install the plugin.  I´m going to review as well if the integration is properly working on Linux after the last updates.

Regards,

Carlos.

Thank you, the version I had were older than the ones you provided.

I had com.codicesoftware.eclipse.extendedcapabilities_4.0.16639v20150120.jar & com.codicesoftware.plastic_4.0.16639v20150120.jar

Unfortunately, attempting to perform any kind of a diff from the branch explorer still produces the same error message as the 1st post. At some point when plastic was upgraded by the Update Manager in ubuntu, the x11 version was uninstalled and replaced with the gtk version and . That would not be a problem except that it seems the plasticscm-client-x11 package is no longer available (I'm using the common & stable plastic repositories for Ubuntu_14.04) and the eclipse plugin seems to be attempting to use that version (plastic) as when attempts to perform a diff, which no longer exists, instead of gtkplastic. I tried symlinking plastic to gtkplastic, but that only caused eclipse to start the gtkplastic client and not a diff.

Performing diffs using the right-click menu from the Project Explorer works though, it's only those from the Branch Explorer that do not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Ubuntu automatically updated our plastic scm install to version 5.4.16.675, even though we are using the  https://www.plasticscm.com/plasticrepo/plasticscm-stable/Ubuntu_14.04/ repository, and now diff don't work at all from anywhere. Attempting to do so results in this error message:

Error in diff tool "mergetool -s="@sourcefile" -sn="@sourcesymbolic" -d="@destinationfile" -dn="@destinationsymbolic" -a -t="@filetype" -i="@comparationmethod" -e="@fileencoding"" execution. Diff tools in client.conf are incorrectly defined.

I think it uninstalled mergetool as part of the package update.

Yes, not sure why your system automatically upraded the last 5.4 Plastic version, but it dinesñt inllcude a default merge tool in the new gtkplastic GUI. You will need to configure your favorite one.  Some exmaples:

kdiff3 "@basefile" "@sourcefile" "@destinationfile"  --L1 "@basesymbolic" --L2 "@sourcesymbolic" --L3 "@destinationhash" -m --auto -o "@output"

Regards,

Carlos.

Thanks, kdiff3 is ugly and rather clunky. However, I found the diffuse to be a good tool for diffs:

diffuse "@sourcefile" -L "@sourcesymbolic" "@destinationfile" -L "@destinationsymbolic"

However, it would be nice if I could still use the old Windows.Forms GUI version. The plasticscm-client-x11 package has disappeared form the plasticscm repository for Debian & Ubuntu so I am no longer able to install it. It was also auto-uninstalled quite some time ago :(

Archived