Illegal Characters in Path

Beloudest

Hi I'm getting this error when I update my workspace on my PC after committing my entire unity project

Illegal Characters in Path

the update then fails

What's the cause of this? I hope I don't get arrested for it and a criminal record  :mellow:

Thanks

Hi there!

the error is because a char symbol that Plastic, or windows, can't handle.

Can you please run a "cm ls --tree=HereGoesTheLastCsetNumberInMainBranch -R > output.txt" command and send us the output to support at codicesoftware dot com?

Also, please run a "cm update . --stack" and send us the error stacktrace, hopefully it will contain more info.

And finally enable the cm log file and repeat the update command. Send us the log file too. Here you can learn how to enable the log: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/technical-articles/kb-enabling-logging-for-plastic-scm-part-i.html

Is it possible for you to run an update operation form a linux machine? I would like to know if it works from  a linux client.

I'm from the UK, I can see that it's got up to the later "F" but there's loads of directories to go through in my Unity project. Maybe I can use a search tool to hunt it down in the the hierarchy a bit more easily.  

I see nothing in the output.txt after running the command for any of my branch version numbers I add, the file does get created. I also added the plastic.log.conf to my client folder with plastic.exe. I can see no log appear. Not having much luck it seems. Could there be some sort permission issue on windows? 

Regarding the log files, yes, change the path to the cm.log.txt and plastic.log.txt inside the cm.log.conf and plastic.log.conf files. By default it's just "cm.log.txt" and that's going to try to write at "program files" which is not permitted for a regular user.

Ok, back to the issue. Are you executing the command from the inside of a workspace? You can execute it without the "> out.txt" thing until it works...

Here you have an example:

cm ls --tree=52@Quake@tardis:8087 -R

One last thing.

I attach a small program "DirDumper" (zip password: plastic ). If you run the program using the issued workspace path as argument:
eg. DirDumper\DirDumper\bin\Debug\DirDumper.exe c:\tmp\WorkspacePath

The program generates a dump file to regenerate your workspace folder and file structure (of course the content of the files is not included).

A text file is generated:
eg. c:\tmp\WorkspacePath-2092bc1c-72ba-4594-a000-8ebe92045dcd.txt"
If you send us this file, we will be able to regenerate your workspace structure, and it will be helpful in order to reproduce and debug the issue.

You can email us with the file in case you don't want to publish your game file names (data is not dumped, only directory and files structure)

DirDumper.zip

-r-xr-xr-x mEnvzyuVmbrP2jZF4YFLiQ==       31640 05/06/2015 14:39 bin           6

/main                   34335    80751 /EXO Exit Main/Welcome to Mars/Assets/Fo

nts/brian2.ttf

-r-xr-xr-x JrsYcQcYb+EriYLcjCBcLg==         301 05/06/2015 14:39 txt           6

/main                   34336    80752 /EXO Exit Main/Welcome to Mars/Assets/Fo

nts/brian2.ttf.meta

-r--r--r-- iblVsoZGH90icAnVSI3O6Q==       50276 05/06/2015 14:39 bin           6

/main                   34337    80753 /EXO Exit Main/Welcome to Mars/Assets/Fo

nts/FORCED SQUARE.ttf

-r--r--r-- IZ8R7k0HUocQKeuehlhchA==         386 05/06/2015 14:39 txt           6

/main                   34338    80754 /EXO Exit Main/Welcome to Mars/Assets/Fo

nts/FORCED SQUARE.ttf.meta

Error: Illegal characters in path.

Ok there she is, I did see that funny enough just now and thought to myself that can't be it but it is. Thanks. Thats a font file in case you wondering. 

mmmmm are you sure "EXO Exit Main/Welcome to Mars/Assets/Fonts/FORCED SQUARE.ttf.meta" is the guilty? I think it's the next one, the one that cannot be printed.

The DirDumper for the Directory in your windows machine where the entire game is placed will help us to recreate the entire structure and reproduce it.

Ok it did something, not sure if its worked correctly? 

C:\Users\stuar_000>C:\Users\stuar_000\DirDumper\DirDumper\DirDumper\bin\Debug\DirDumper.exe C:\Users\stuar_000\Development\BeloudestSCM                         DirDumper.exe "Path\To\Dir" PassPhrase                                                                                                                          

• 2 years later...

Archived