Editing an xlink changeset and getting changes temporarily without commit xlink edit

FredM

Hi,

Imagine you have a repo B containing an xlink that you'd want to edit to point to a more recent cs in repo A. This in order to check that the feature of that cs from repo A works fine in the context of repo B.

I know how to edit an xlink and have noticed this operation must be committed before being able to update the files inside the xlink.

Is there a means of updating the content of the xlink without having to commit its edit to a newer cs ? So that one could test, and upon success, actually commit the edit to a newer cs.

Thanks

Fred

Ok, I think the following workflow can work for you, let me know if it helps.

1) Go to the Items view.

2) Right click the xlink you want to "update"/test.

3) Select -> Repository -> View branch explorer.

4) In the new branch explorer right click the changeset you would like to test and select "Merge from this changeset"

5) Process the merge and you will have the new changes and the xlink updated in your pending changes view.

Here you can test, compile, whatever. If you are comfortable with the new changesets -> commit, if you are not -> Undo changes.

I'm using the linux GTK client and there's no repository menu item in the context menu. There is history item though, which can display the history of the pointed item in history panel on the right side.

I guess the repository menu item in the context menu will be restored in a future release.

Fred

Hi Fred,

ok if you are using gtkplastic there's no was to do it right now, I'm sure we'll implement it soon, right now I can give you a command line alternative.

You can do the following:

cm merge branch-targeting-the-xlink@xlinked-repo@server:port --merge

The changes will be placed in your workspace and again you can commit them or undo them if you are not happy with the new changes.

• 5 months later...

Archived