Reconfigure Plastic SCM after Sysprep & Computer Name Change? Error Message: No such host is known Plastic client can't continue and will be closed

crashnburn

I did an upgrade from Win 7 to 8 to 8.1 and things were working.

I did a Sysprep / Generalize where the machine SID and Name changes and I guess I need to reconfigure as I am getting this Error Message. 

---------------------------
Error
No such host is known Plastic client can't continue and will be closed.
OK   

I believe when I started within P SCM at version 3 or 4, I followed a lot of defaults when installing. 

Now when I try to reconfigure "Server Configuration Wizard" I figured it might make sense to do "user name & password" thing instead of "local user" etc user authentication stuff that is Tied to Windows install for long term.

In case I do a Sysprep again as I move existing OS to VHD :) - what configuration & steps would you recommend :) ?

ADD: 

PlasticSCM-5.0.44.570-windows-net4-installer.exe

Ran the setup file again.. it was popping a bunch of .NET/ ASM etc errors but it finally got done. If these are logged somewhere I'll try and post it. 

ADD: 
Local Username is same so for short term I just chose: Local User thing again. 

ADD: 
I did a run/ reconfigure of Server Config Wizard & Client Config Wizard.. 

And this time Plastic SCM Client did run but it popped these messages that point to the Old Machine Name/ Server... despite me having configured the New Machine/ Server using Wizard. 

Error
No channel found trying to connect to [x61t_rev2:8087 (unreachable)]
OK   

Am I safe to move forward and start using my previous Project Source DBs? 

I guess not.. I am getting the Channel errors for anything I try to do on P Client. 

So: 

Are my migration steps wrong? How can I do this correctly? What steps Should I follow? 

Should I install a later release to help fix some of this? 

Note: I have a full system image / partition on a spare HDD of the Pre-Sysprep system. Should I migrate or backup/restore files/ configurations from there onto the current System to help with the migration - In case the current steps I took have caused any corruption of configs? 

I am thinking it might make sense to boot the old HDD, backup all the needed stuff {Please tell me what & how} and do a fresh reinstall on here? Or maybe theres an easier way?

I just saw this thread post - 

http://www.plasticscm.net/index.php?/topic/2404-how-to-migrate-plastic-to-a-new-server/#entry15021 

I am not even sure how to do what the OP said in the first post. 

So I understand how to migrate my database backend from one server to another, but what if I want to move my plastic installation (and or update to a newer plastic version) as part of this process?

Hi,

1. The first step is to reconfigure the Plastic client to point to the new server name (or server IP). The configurator (plastic --configure) will allow you to connect (click on "Connect" button) and then check the user credentials.

If everithing is correct in this step, you should be able to open a command line and list the remote repositories ("cm lrep").

2. Once you have reconfigured your client, you need to reconfigure your workspaces (you probably have a few workspaces pointing to the old server location and generating some "server not found" errors). You can always create new workspaces (they will automatically point to the new server location). But in order to reconfigure the old workspaces, you can right-click the desired repositories (repositories view), open the branch explorer and finally switch the workspace to the desired branch. This way, the repo will be pointing to the new server location branches and updating the desired content.

Regards,

Carlos.

Hi,

1. The first step is to reconfigure the Plastic client to point to the new server name (or server IP). The configurator (plastic --configure) will allow you to connect (click on "Connect" button) and then check the user credentials.

If everithing is correct in this step, you should be able to open a command line and list the remote repositories ("cm lrep").

2. Once you have reconfigured your client, you need to reconfigure your workspaces (you probably have a few workspaces pointing to the old server location and generating some "server not found" errors). You can always create new workspaces (they will automatically point to the new server location). But in order to reconfigure the old workspaces, you can right-click the desired repositories (repositories view), open the branch explorer and finally switch the workspace to the desired branch. This way, the repo will be pointing to the new server location branches and updating the desired content.

Regards,

Carlos.

I will try this out.

Is there a clear/ detailed guide for this / it steps? 

Is it possible to 'configure' both Server & Client as "localhost" ?? instead of actual machine name. 

How about a guide for migrating a locally installed Server & Client install to a "fresh" machine? 

- What stuff/ settings/ files/ Dbs need to be backed up/ restored & how? 

- Replicate to new machine? 

Hi,

I focused my answer on the client side. If you need to mirgate your server please, check:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32971212/plastic-scm-migration-configuration-guide-to-migrate-to-new-machine

If the server and the client are on the same machine, you can use "localhost" instead of the machine name or IP.

My previous link explains the steps to migrate a server to a new machine. Migrate the client is just installing the client in the new machine and then create the new workspaces.

PD: Yes, we should include this guide in our documentation page.

Regards,

Carlos.

Hi,

Regards,

Carlos.

I think I got to the branch explorer... but not sure what to do in the Blue part? As, I was able to switch over one workspace to the new Server path, but the other one seems to not change over while doing the same. 

Could you elaborate what option to select once in Branch View.. lets say I right click on one snapshot on a branch. 

Additional thought: If the above does not work out.. I am wondering about the following. 

I think I kind of get it now.. Even inside the Plastic SCM Client...  The Repositories are on the Server, while the Workspaces are tied to Client.. 

So deleting the Workspaces & recreating new ones, would/ should have no impact at all? 

Ok, yes sorry. I thought that it was clear, but it can be confusing if you come from a different SCM:

- The Plastic SCM workspaces are the local copy (client side) of the content stored in the server. You download a specific changeset from the server in your local workspace .Deleting the workspaces and recreating new ones will not affect (it would only affect if you have pending to commit changes).

Initially, your workspace selector is pointing to a server that is not reachable any more. You can just remove this old workspace (local copy) and create a new one or you can try to reconfigure it to point to the new server location. In order to do that, you can follow my previous steps:

Open the repositories view (repositories already in the new location) --> right-click --> View Branch explorer --> right-click --> Switch workspace to this branch.

After that, your workspace selector will be pointing to a repo branch stored in the new server location.

Regards,

Carlos.

Archived