Migrating from SVN/ANKHsvn Gui questions

mvdzwaan

We're currently evaluating moving to PlasticSCM from a VisualSVN Server/AnkhSVN environment. I have a number of questions which I could not find the answers to in the forum or using google

* Is it possible to customize the GUI. For instance in the Pending Changes window I would like to hide the 'Find private' option. Ticking this one and not paying attention on Checkin leads to a lot of unneeded files in the repository

* Any options for auto refresh of some windows ? I have the active branch marked with conditional formatting, but when switching to a new branch I need to manually refresh the branch explorer to show this.

* We're very used to using the Update button in AnkhSVN right next to the Commit (checkin) button. On a project where multiple people are working on the same functionality at the same time, we commit and update a lot. With PlasticSCM I do not get a notification that a new revision (changeset) is available when another dev checks in. AnkhSVN would warn me on the commit ('you need to update first'), so a fast update and commit would work perfectly. With Plastic the only option is to select the project in the explorer, context menu, update to latest version... Am I missing a faster way or should our development process be different ?

Hi mvdzwaan,

* Is it possible to customize the GUI. For instance in the Pending Changes window I would like to hide the 'Find private' option. Ticking this one and not paying attention on Checkin leads to a lot of unneeded files in the repository

Well, the good thing about the "pending changes view" and "find private" is that you can easily identify new files that need to be added. But I understand that if you have a lot of private files then it can be a bit of a nightmare.

So, the solution is configuring the "ignore.conf" file, which will tell the system which files/directories have to be ignored. Take a look at the docs about how to set it up (or the forum) and your problem will vanish away. :)

* Any options for auto refresh of some windows ? I have the active branch marked with conditional formatting, but when switching to a new branch I need to manually refresh the branch explorer to show this.

I've good news here: we're going to implement this during the current sprint, so expect it to be out in a couple of weeks.

* We're very used to using the Update button in AnkhSVN right next to the Commit (checkin) button. On a project where multiple people are working on the same functionality at the same time, we commit and update a lot. With PlasticSCM I do not get a notification that a new revision (changeset) is available when another dev checks in. AnkhSVN would warn me on the commit ('you need to update first'), so a fast update and commit would work perfectly. With Plastic the only option is to select the project in the explorer, context menu, update to latest version... Am I missing a faster way or should our development process be different ?

I see your point, but remember the "best practice" when using Plastic is to actually take advantage of our "branch per task" capabilities. Ok, let me explain, if you really take advantage of plastic you'll be implementing each task (each issue in your issue tracker) on a different branch. Yes, it sounds like an overkill for SVN users... and it would be using SVN!!! but not using Plastic. This way, each task is perfectly isolated, you work on your own branch for each task and switch to a new one once you're done. You checkin often, as often as you need, even every few minutes (almost like CTRL-S :P) but you're never "hitting" your colleagues work. So, simply put, checking "what's new on trunk" is not a concern anymore.

If you have a few minutes I strongly recommend you taking a look at this blog post: http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2010/08/branch-per-task-workflow-explained.html. All the reasons behind "branch per task" are there, and once you get it, I guarantee you that you won't come back! :P. Of course our "quick start" is a very good starting point too: http://www.plasticscm.com/infocenter/quick-start.aspx. And we've some videos about it too, one of the most interesting ones is the one we recorded together with Atlassian a few months ago: http://blogs.atlassian.com/news/2010/12/video_distributed_parallel_development_with_jira_and_plastic.html

Ok, let me know how it goes!

pablo

I see your point' date=' but remember the "best practice" when using Plastic is to actually take advantage of our "branch per task" capabilities. Ok, let me explain, if you really take advantage of plastic you'll be implementing each task (each issue in your issue tracker) on a different branch. Yes, it sounds like an overkill for SVN users... and it would be using SVN!!! but not using Plastic. This way, each task is perfectly isolated, you work on your own branch for each task and switch to a new one once you're done. You checkin often, as often as you need, even every few minutes (almost like CTRL-S :P) but you're never "hitting" your colleagues work. So, simply put, checking "what's new on trunk" is not a concern anymore.

[/quote']

We'll look into this new way of working with an scm.

It would also help if the 'check for latest version' on the project item would be available as a button in one of the plastic windows, or if the plugin would allow this function to be placed on one of the standard toolbars.

While I'm typing this I'm thinking we could implement this ourselves using a macro ;)

Maurice

Archived