Repository disappeared - possibly security related?

notken

Hi there. I just added a new repository, and can see that the database file exists in the file system.

I wanted to it to be accessible by two different groups, while every other repository was only accessible by Group 1. So for the server permissions I allowed access to Group 1 and denied access to Group 2. I then returned to the new repository and went to alter its permissions. I selected Break inheritance, and ticked Break without copying (which is perhaps where things went wrong...)

The repository then disappeared from my selection, presumably because I don't have permission to access it any more. But how do I now set permission back on this repository? Is there a master user who can access it?

In fact there's two database files in the file system, id 4 and 11. 11 is this missing one, I think, but how do I find out what 4 is?

Sorry, two questions, but probably related. How can a 'superuser' see what's going on?

Strangely, for this repository, although I can't see it, I still have an active workspace working on it.

Hi Notken,

The superuser is the owner of the repository server. If you didn't setup one yet (the owner of the repserver is all users) you can set up one specific user or group, which will always be able to access and set the security of all objects.

Setting this superuser is a best practice and first step in configuring the security.

You can setup the repserver owner right clicking on a repository on the repositories view and selecting "repository server permissions", then set the desired user or group as owner.

Once the superuser is in place, you can access the "missing" repository and set the desired permissions.

Keep in mind that the denied permission prevails over the allowed, so for your setup if would be best to allow access to group1 at the repserver level, then allowing group2 on the specific repository they need to see. If you deny something at the repserver level, it'll be denied on all the inheriting sublevels.

About the workspace pointing to the repository, yes, the workspace is a local copy on your hard disk, there is no easy way to "delete" those files (and it would be a dangerous assumption to do so). But if you try any operation, it'll be denied.

Cheers,

David

Archived