the merge is not currently available in the cloud server

Hi!

I'm sorry, let me try to explain it better.

The cloud allows you to work:

1) Regular mode: like Github, push and pull branches. (tons of branches, merges, labels...)

2) Gluon mode: like a central server, using gluon as your client that means only one branch and no merges.

3) Mixed mode: Some people will use the gluon mode using the cloud as a central server and some other will pull and push branches.

Hi!

I'm sorry, let me try to explain it better.

The cloud allows you to work:

1) Regular mode: like Github, push and pull branches. (tons of branches, merges, labels...)

2) Gluon mode: like a central server, using gluon as your client that means only one branch and no merges.

3) Mixed mode: Some people will use the gluon mode using the cloud as a central server and some other will pull and push branches.

So how to enter regular mode so I won't get this "the merge is not currently available in the cloud server" error?

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

We're new to Plastic SCM and thought that the Cloud would be a good way to get us into Plastic, since we can't really afford to have our own server right now.

It sounds to me like it is impossible to merge branches without a dedicated local server. Or, instead "local server," can we use our local machine?

Either way, how would I go about "pulling the cloud branches to my local server"? When learning about Plastic, I was not introduced to the concept of "Push" and "Pull."

If it turns out that we cannot merge, we cannot use this tool, and we would begrudgingly go back to git. I also strongly suggest that you include a better explanation and guidance in-app when the user is faced with this issue. Just saying "oh thats not supported" is undermining what makes this tool useful.

-Bryant

Hello Bryant,

I would love to explain you (and anyone else who wants to join us) how the cloud works.

We can discuss about the Cloud, Plastic Gluon and distributed development.

What do you think? Something like 8 or 9 AM PST usually works for me.

Signed up for cloud today to test out PlasticSCM for a Unity project and ran into this as well. Not being able to merge seems to contradict the philosophy of Plastic SCM (branch per task etc). 

Hi,

You pull the cloud branches into your local server, then you can perform the merge in your local server (with very good performance) and finally push the merge result into the cloud server again.

Regards,

Carlos.

Is there a guide that goes into detail? I have a local server to test this workflow.. how do I pull branches from the cloud? 

hello!

the eval guide will show you how tu pull content to your local server, create changes, merge them and finally push them back to the remote server (cloud).

-> https://plasticscm.com/documentation/labs/main.shtml

If you have any question or you feel it's not enough I'm still available for an online meeting, we can also get your feedback and write a small blogpost. So feel free to ask!

Ah, that's a different link. 

edit: I get an unexpected error when I try to replicate/pull as per the guide. Version 5.4.16.726 on mac. 

Log from console (I get 3 of them, nearly identical): 

2/15/16 4:56:59.730 PM macplastic[4940]: Unable to simultaneously satisfy constraints:
(
    "<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x12ef6ef0 h=--& v=--& V:[w:0x26293df0(0)]>",
    "<NSLayoutConstraint:0x262da7b0 V:|-(115)-[NSScrollView:0x262d79e0]   (Names: '|':w:0x26293df0 )>",
    "<NSLayoutConstraint:0x262da880 V:[NSButton:0x262d9320'Apply']-(0)-|   (Names: '|':w:0x26293df0 )>",
    "<NSLayoutConstraint:0x262da7f0 V:[NSScrollView:0x262d79e0]-(10)-[NSButton:0x262d9320'Apply']>",
    "<NSLayoutConstraint:0x262da830 V:[NSButton:0x262d9320'Apply'(35)]>"
)

Will attempt to recover by breaking constraint 
<NSLayoutConstraint:0x262da7f0 V:[NSScrollView:0x262d79e0]-(10)-[NSButton:0x262d9320'Apply']>

Set the NSUserDefault NSConstraintBasedLayoutVisualizeMutuallyExclusiveConstraints to YES to have -[NSWindow visualizeConstraints:] automatically called when this happens.  And/or, break on objc_exception_throw to catch this in the debugger.

edit: I get an unexpected error when I try to replicate/pull as per the guide. Version 5.4.16.726 on mac. 

Log from console (I get 3 of them, nearly identical): 

2/15/16 4:56:59.730 PM macplastic[4940]: Unable to simultaneously satisfy constraints:
(
    "<NSAutoresizingMaskLayoutConstraint:0x12ef6ef0 h=--& v=--& V:[w:0x26293df0(0)]>",
    "<NSLayoutConstraint:0x262da7b0 V:|-(115)-[NSScrollView:0x262d79e0]   (Names: '|':w:0x26293df0 )>",
    "<NSLayoutConstraint:0x262da880 V:[NSButton:0x262d9320'Apply']-(0)-|   (Names: '|':w:0x26293df0 )>",
    "<NSLayoutConstraint:0x262da7f0 V:[NSScrollView:0x262d79e0]-(10)-[NSButton:0x262d9320'Apply']>",
    "<NSLayoutConstraint:0x262da830 V:[NSButton:0x262d9320'Apply'(35)]>"
)

Will attempt to recover by breaking constraint 
<NSLayoutConstraint:0x262da7f0 V:[NSScrollView:0x262d79e0]-(10)-[NSButton:0x262d9320'Apply']>

Set the NSUserDefault NSConstraintBasedLayoutVisualizeMutuallyExclusiveConstraints to YES to have -[NSWindow visualizeConstraints:] automatically called when this happens.  And/or, break on objc_exception_throw to catch this in the debugger.

1) Which MacOS version are you using? Just tested on El Capitan and seems to be working fine.

2) Is it failing when you click "Pull this branch"  or when you later click "Replicate"?

3) Can you send us the "/Users/<Your_User>/.plastic4/macplastic.log.txt" log file? I think it will contain more info.

1) Which MacOS version are you using? Just tested on El Capitan and seems to be working fine.

2) Is it failing when you click "Pull this branch"  or when you later click "Replicate"?

3) Can you send us the "/Users/<Your_User>/.plastic4/macplastic.log.txt" log file? I think it will contain more info.

Yosemite 10.10.3

When I click Replicate after filling out server/repo info. Here's a video: http://up.justinteractive.tv/uploaded/plasticError.mov

log (I had enabled the debug flag): http://up.justinteractive.tv/uploaded/log.txt

Not sure why it's failing in this ugly way. 

ERROR PlasticThread - Error when performing background operation: Only the server administrator can accept a certificate on the server.

But we have a very similar issue fixed here:  5.4.16.729 

If it doesn't how either with the new release I think the root cause seems to be you are not able to install the encryption certificate. Only the root Plastic SCM user is able to do it, so let's set yourself as root:

1) cm whoami

2) cm setowner -user=<TheWhoAmIAnswer> repserver:localhost:8087

3) Try again

• 1 month later...

What's described here isn't really an ideal workflow. In case people stumble across this thread in the future, here's what I've found to work great: 

• Instead of using the cloud server as the main server and pulling to a local server when you need to merge, just use the local server as the one you work in so you can merge freely with ease. 
  • Then, instead of doing replication>pull/push manually for each branch to sync with the cloud, like the guide suggests, set up a sync view and it's just a single button press to keep all branches synced. 

Maybe that's obvious to some people, but that doesn't seem to be what the advice and guides point new users towards. 

Archived