Organizing branch-per-task branches

jspraul

What is the recommended layout for branch-per-task?

After even just a few features it seems like things would pile up. If folders are named after an incrementing number such as issue numbers or whatever, eventually it would wind up with a huge list of branches with the ones being used sorted as the bottom of the list by default.

The only thing I can think of is creating an archive folder per-quarter / year / whatever, but doesn't renaming branches after they have been merged back into the trunk throw a monkey-wrench into the history of the branch that would best be avoided?

Hope this makes sense, I am looking for some guidance on this as a part of encouraging a switch to branch-per-task instead of oops-probably-should-have-branched-before-this. :)

Hi,

normally having a big amount of branches is not a problem. In the branches view, you can use the filter to get to the interesting ones. And the branch explorer by default displays the last 3 months of activity. Even there you can also search and use the visibility editor to hide branches (that are also hidden on the branches view).

Normally the layout or branch hierarchy is more determined by your development model. For instance, you may have your new development on the main branch, creating child branches for tasks there, and also having /main/release3.1 with child task branches as well to accommodate hotfixes of the release 3.1.

If you can give us some more details, we might be able to come up with specific advice.

Cheers!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

As David suggested I would filter the BrEx (Branch Explorer) to visualize only the last month or the last 3 months, so you don't really worry about the old ones.

You can always use the "visibility editor".

And, for 4.0 we're working on "level filtering": displaying up to first level, second level, third level and so on.

Archived