Installation of v5 isn't spotting or upgrading v4

Hi there. I tested this on a debug system first so I would know what to expect before attempting to upgrade our live Plastic server which is running 4.1.10. When I tried it locally, the v5 installation spotted I had v4 installed and successfully upgraded it.

But on our live system (Windows Server 2008) it won't, and just installs alongside v4.

Any suggestions about how I can force the upgrade or anything else I can try?

Hi!

The installer will try to find a "cm.exe" tool using the PATH variable in order to know if there's a Plastic installation, if it's found and the "uninstaller.exe" tool exists an upgrade is proposed, if not a new installation.

Can you check if the cm.exe is available for all the machine users?

Hi. Sorry for the slow response. I didn't get any notification that you'd replied despite following this topic.

Yes, it's included in the path, the folder is set to be executable by users, but it hasn't helped.

I've forgotten at what point it checks if there's an existing product. It's almost immediately isn't it?

Is there anything manual I can do?

Yes, it should detect the old installation at the very beginning.

I don't understand why it's not working as it should.

You can proceed with a manual installation...

Install Plastic SCM 5, it will be placed at: C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\, you'll now have Plastic 4 (using the 8084 port) and Plastic 5 (using the 8087 port).

Copy all the .conf files from "C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\server" to "C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\server", and the license file!

If you are using MySQL or SqlServer or Oracle or postgresql you don't need to copy any database, I'm assuming if you use any of those the databases are not at "C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\server". If you use sqlite or sqlserver ce copy all the .sqlite or .sdf to the new Plastic server directory.

Uninstall Plastic SCM 4.

Any question? I'll be happy to help.

My Plastic v4 is also on 8087 so I don't know if that's part of the problem. So I stopped the v4 service, installed 5, stopped 5's service, then copied across all of the conf files and the lic file, restarted 5, and then installed the new client. But it doesn't have any of my repositories!

I'll roll my client back to v4 and hopefully I can reconnect to v4 which I've restarted after stopping v5.

So how do I get v5 to use my mysql database? It seems to be connected to it and wanting to use that db. It's just not spotting any of the old databases, it seems.

Hello,

the "db.conf" file is having the connection string to the MySQL engine. You should place this file inside the new Plastic SCM 5 server directory.

If it's not recognizing the databases please review the "plastic.server.log" file you'll find at the Plastic SCM 5 server directory. You can also post it here, I would like to know if there's any problem there.

OK, I've finally got it working, but:

1. Despite copying over the conf files like you suggested, v5 hadn't picked up the database connection info. I had to go back into server set up and reapply those.
  2. It then popped up a dialog saying it was upgrading the repositories.
  3. I updated my client to v5 but after connecting it said I didn't have any repositories. In a bit of a panic I turned off server v5 and restarted the v4 service.
  4. I downgraded my client to v4, but that also said that I didn't have any repositories. I had a look at the mysql databases and the repository table inside the repositories database had been completely wiped during the upgrade!!!
  5. Fortunately I had a backup on a time-delayed mysql replication, so dumped the repositories database and loaded it into the live one and my repositories reappeared in v4.
  6. Happy that I at least could recover, I decided to give v5 another go by just stopping the v4 service and restarting v5, and then updating my client again. That seems to have worked, although I don't know if having a v4 repositories database is going to be an issue. The v5 client seems to be working OK now. I've refreshed the branch explorer and checked in some changes. Fingers crossed.

Archived