Unity 5.3.1f1 Freezing

jakeslack27

Hi,

Since upgrading to Unity 5.3.1f1 (latest release at this time), I'm finding my editor will freeze rather randomly.  In TaskManager, Unity will still be reported to be responding but it does not react to any input and any process it was doing will freeze.  The only way to bring it back to life is to close down the Plastic process in TaskManager so I'm pretty sure it's related to Plastic.  It doesn't look like the freeze happens at any particular time/event but it happens very frequently.  

I can no longer use Plastic in editor due to this.  If Plastic is not running I don't have any freezes.

Has this been reported/experienced and is there a fix!?

Many thanks, Jake

Hi!

I think the problem is related with the "cm status --changed" command, it' seems it's taking a lot of time to finish, 236828 ms at least.

Can you please open a command line window and execute the following commands:

cm iostats --disktest --disktestpath=E:/Unity/PrivateEye/PrivateEyeUnity --diskdatasize=512

cm status E:/Unity/PrivateEye/PrivateEyeUnity --changed --timer

cm status E:/Unity/PrivateEye/PrivateEyeUnity --all --timer

If "E:/Unity/PrivateEye/PrivateEyeUnity" is not your workspace root path please change it to the right one (where the hidden ".plastic" is located).

Please post me the output of the commands.

Hi,

Not sure if related but since copying over the 'plasticunity.log.conf' I can no longer open the Plastic SCM application.  It starts up, begins checking for changes in repository and then crashes.  Wasn't having this problem before.  I removed the 'plasticunity.log.conf', restarted my machine and still the same prob.  I'm pretty sure I've changed nothing other than pasting the conf file and restating plastic.  Could have busted something on force closing PlasticSCMPlugin?

C:\Users\Jake>cm iostats --disktest --disktestpath=E:/Unity/PrivateEye/PrivateEyeUnity --diskdatasize=512
Performing disk speed test on path: E:/Unity/PrivateEye/PrivateEyeUnity\PlasticSCM_IOStats. Please wait...
Disk write speed = 165.481577246283 MB/s. Time writing  512MB = 3094 ms.
Disk read speed  = 2048 MB/s. Time reading  512MB = 250 ms.

C:\Users\Jake>cm status E:/Unity/PrivateEye/PrivateEyeUnity --changed --timer
cs:380@rep:PrivateEye_Repo@repserver:jake-pc:8087

828 ms

C:\Users\Jake>cm status E:/Unity/PrivateEye/PrivateEyeUnity --all --timer

There has been no return from the last command, been running for about 3 minutes...

Ok,

I think the problem is with the 100K private you have + the Local Moved search.

Create a "ignore.conf" file at the root directory of your workspace.

Place the following content inside it and save it.

.sync
/Assets/Editor/AutoSave
Builds
Content
Library
ignore.conf

Try to open the Plastic SCM client GUI and check if the Unity problem is gone.

Hi!

You got it!  I can now open the Plastic GUI and Unity doesn't seem to be freezing :)

Great!! :)

I don't fully understand what happened and why the ignores fix it but I'm happy!  If you don't hear from me then Unity is a-ok.

Look, when you have private files and local removed files Plastic will try to match the remove operation as a potential move operation so it starts checking all the private files one by one, for each local removed.

That is very very expensive in terms of processing time.

Setting those directories, that are never going to be added to the repo, as ignored will speed up the calculation as they are not taken into account anymore :)

Archived