Assistance for installing on Manjaro (Arch)

Tralen

Greetings,

I'm trying to move an installation from Windows 7 to Manjaro, an Arch based distro. There is no pacman or AUR package for Plastic, so I had to install manually with the binaries packages. I followed the readme in the scripts folder and managed to get the server running, as well as the gtkplastic client.

However, I'm unable to find the repositories in the client, and if I try to search directly for them, by specifying the server name, I get the following error:

No channel found trying to connect to [my-server-name]

I'm worried that I edited the db.conf file badly, by following the Windows version that I had, or that I can't simply transfer my previous sqlite repositories. Here is the db.conf file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<DbConfig xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <ProviderName>sqlite</ProviderName>
  <ConnectionString>Data Source={0};Synchronous=Off;Pooling=true;</ConnectionString>
  <AdminConnectionString />
  <DatabaseCreationCommands />
  <DatabasePath>/home/tralen/Principal/Repositórios</DatabasePath>
  <DatabasePrefix />
  <DatabaseSuffix />
  <DatabaseCollation />
  <ColumnCollation />
  <MaxCachedTrees>50</MaxCachedTrees>
  <LastUsedCsets />
  <LastUsedCsetsLoad>-1</LastUsedCsetsLoad>
  <FullTreeRevisionsLoad>20000</FullTreeRevisionsLoad>
</DbConfig>

Thanks for any assistance.

Edit: I've found that I also cannot create a new Repository, I get a "Connection Refused" error.

I've found that the Client registered the error better in the gtkplastic.log.txt file:

2016-02-19 04:28:29,378 (null) tralen at (null) ERROR CmProxy - Error invoking method [GetRepositoryList] [plastic://tralen-lenovo-3000-n200:8087/RepositoryHandler] Could not resolve host 'tralen-lenovo-3000-n200'. Server: plastic://tralen-lenovo-3000-n200:8087

I've managed to get Plastic working correctly in Manjaro, and I think it will work in any Arch distribution.

The problems I faced were solved in four steps:

1. Creating a new db.conf from scratch:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <DbConfig xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
      <ProviderName>sqlite</ProviderName>
      <ConnectionString>Data Source={0};Synchronous=Off;Pooling=true;</ConnectionString>
      <DatabasePath>/home/tralen/Principal/Repositórios/</DatabasePath>
      <MaxCachedTrees>50</MaxCachedTrees>
      <LastUsedCsetsLoad>-1</LastUsedCsetsLoad>
      <FullTreeRevisionsLoad>20000</FullTreeRevisionsLoad>
    </DbConfig>
  2. Running the umtool to regenerate the users.conf file. In my case, I was using a user/password combination, that was not properly generated from my previous attempts. This was blocking the client from accessing the server. The syntax for the tool is:
    umtool cu <username> <password>

3. Creating a script to run the server at startup. The plasticsd command handles the server, and can be set to start, stop, restart or check the status of the server. In my case, I simply created a one line shell script and added it to autostart:

plasticsd start
  4. There seems to be a bug with the client, at least in this installation method. It cannot find the repositories unless you specify the server name manually. The no channel error that I posted above, is resolved by specifying the port in the usual servername:port format. In Windows, Plastic is able to infer the name to find the repositories, but on my installation, I have to manually add the name or I get an error every time I scan for them.

Hi!

the 

CmProxy - Error invoking method [GetRepositoryList] [plastic://tralen-lenovo-3000-n200:8087/RepositoryHandler] Could not resolve host 'tralen-lenovo-3000-n200'. Server: plastic://tralen-lenovo-3000-n200:8087

error makes me think your client has a problem trying to resolve the "tralen-lenovo-3000-n200" network name. Can you tell me if a ping/traceroute works from the client?

It seems to ping just fine:

PING tralen-Lenovo-3000-n200 (192.168.0.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from tralen-Lenovo-3000-n200 (192.168.0.2): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.052 ms
64 bytes from tralen-Lenovo-3000-n200 (192.168.0.2): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.066 ms
64 bytes from tralen-Lenovo-3000-n200 (192.168.0.2): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.066 ms
64 bytes from tralen-Lenovo-3000-n200 (192.168.0.2): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.066 ms
64 bytes from tralen-Lenovo-3000-n200 (192.168.0.2): icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.067 ms
64 bytes from tralen-Lenovo-3000-n200 (192.168.0.2): icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.070 ms

• 2 weeks later...

I solved the last standing problem, I now have Plastic fully working on Manjaro. The problem was that I had set my resolv.conf file incorrectly, so DNS resolution was broken. I only noticed because my router malfunctioned and I had to replace it, and point the file to it. The Arch wiki offered the solution:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/resolv.conf

In my case, I created the resolv.conf.head file as instructed in the wiki, so my addresses are automatically prepended to the resolv.conf file on boot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived