Unable to install PlasticSCM on Ubuntu 16.04

THe verion of apt used by Ubuntu 16.04 (and probably the latest release of Debian) requires stronger security. IT will no longer install anything using a SHA1 key. Attempting to do so results in this error:

E: Failed to fetch https://www.plasticscm.com/plasticrepo/plasticscm-common/Ubuntu_14.04/./Release  No Hash entry in Release file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/www.plasticscm.com_plasticrepo_plasticscm-common_Ubuntu%5f14.04_._Release which is considered strong enough for security purposes
E: Failed to fetch https://www.plasticscm.com/plasticrepo/plasticscm-latest/Ubuntu_14.04/./Release  No Hash entry in Release file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/www.plasticscm.com_plasticrepo_plasticscm-latest_Ubuntu%5f14.04_._Release which is considered strong enough for security purposes

Debian has a wiki entry about this here: https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Apt/Sha1Removal

Hi Naris,

I'm sorry this is a known issue. Meanwhile you can install mono independently and use the Plastic SCM zip installers, they contains all the .exe and .dll needed for running both Plastic SCM client and server.

We'll try to fix this asap.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi manu, Here's hoping - I wanted to install on 16.04 today.   Couple of notes:

1.  Providing a repository is lovely, but why do you call it "Ubuntu_14.04"  instead of "trusty"   like the entire rest of the Internet??  (same with squeeze, jessie ... and "xenial" please <g>)

2.  There's no link to the ZIPs from the page

I don't know how easy it is for you to update your website, but a comment exactly as you say above about installing mono separately + using ZIP installer, would be handy.  Also, while you're at it , perhaps a comment that you only support the APT-GET method for Long-term-support releases (for Ubuntu, Stable for Debian) .. and/or make it clear that the ones listed are the ONLY ones you support, since all we get if we go hunting are blank pages and 404s.

worse, choosing Download from the menu takes to which looks very hopeful, but the Download button on this page doesn't download anything - it directs to the

One has to know  to click on "other installers" and then still choose "client zip"  (not the top, appetising, "linux packages" <g>)

For info this worked  (sudo  everytthing or run as root)

aptitude install mono

mkdir /opt/plastic

cd /opt/plastic

unzip <path-to>/PlasticSCM-5.4.16.750-linux-client-binaries.zip   # (obviously filename depends on which version downloaded!)

sudo addgroup plasticscm

adduser  <myself>  plasticscm
chgrp -R plasticscm /opt/plastic/

chmod  g+w /opt/plastic/client

mono /opt/plastic/client/gtkplastic &

Even then.. when I try to create a first workspace I get "An unexpected error has occurred" . I assumed permissions-related , but not so sure now.   I haven't got any further investigating, although the steps above look sound. May have to re-login or something to get permissions to take effect.

Still haven't had time to investigate much but  "An unexpected error has occurred" even when running sudo.  At this error it prints  "Marshaling changed signal" to stdout but no log written that I can find.
in the scripts directory is a gtkplastic  bash script, these are non-functional as provided, but if I do my best by chmod+x and moving around, I can't make them do any better.

I don't have time to hunt around (inadequate) instructions and debug your code etc etc ..... so would muchly appreciate you signing the repository with a SHA512 key .. better still issue a proper 16.04 LTS package.  Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the client binary to work on 16.04. You have to read the README.txt in the client/scripts folder, it says:

To configure Plastic SCM on your computer, please follow these instructions:

1.- user@mymachine:~> cd scripts
2.- user@mymachine:~> chmod u+x genscripts.sh
3.- user@mymachine:~> ./genscripts.sh

4.- We recommend to add the Plastic SCM client directory to your $PATH;
this way you will be able to execute all the utilities provided from any location.

I also needed to install mono-complete gnome-sharp2.

• 2 months later...

I don't wish to sound ungrateful, but 3 months have gone by,  From another thread (from manu):  "it's in our roadmap to support the new apt-get version :) ... As you said, installing Plastic SCM using the binaries over an existent installation should work just fine."

What about installing the binaries over a non-existent installation?  ie a new install. 

I don't wish to sound ungrateful, but linux support in PlasticSCM had historically been very good, but now as far as I can tell, it is impossible to install Plastic SCM on any flavour of Ubuntu from 16.04 onwards, using any of the instructions that Codice have supplied, or for that matter anywhere else on the internet that I can find.

As a paying customer - and aren't all your customers paying - we do deserve better than this.   In fact, decent linux support is one of the things that led me to choose Plastic over other (the other being a really good GUI)>

It doesn't strike me that getting SHA512 keys on the repository would be all that much work, assuming that was the only steps required - but the Mono versions in question are available in the distro's standard software stack.

- Walter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Carlos.  I got around it for now.  Sounds like best we just wait as patiently as we can because when you do fix it, it will be properly fixed.

P.S. I am in no position to criticise timing - in something completely unrelated to this, I've just finally attended to a problem that took me 30 seconds to fix, but the customer has been waiting for three days... also note how long it took me to response on this thread!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just in case it can help people coming to this post: we published a workaround to install on Debian/Ubuntu long ago:

https://www.plasticscm.com/plastic-for-linux/ubuntu-16.html

All other distros can be installed with regular packages.

We need to rebuild our OBS system to fix Debian/Ubuntu and yes, we have been postponing this because we believe the workaround is not hard for someone using one of these distros and because lots of other tasks were higher value .

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I'm really happy to inform you that we've upgraded our repositories to be compatible with Ubuntu 16.04 or later! The repository signatures now use digest algorithm SHA-256. Everything should be back to normal now.

Regards,
Miguel

Archived