Error committing during checkin

tom.peters

Good day -

I am running Plastic over SQL Server 2008. When I do a Check In from Pending Changes, I get the following error:

"The operation can't be committed, and it was cancelled."

I have tried this several times. It always shows the status go through all the check-ins and then at the very end I get the aforementioned error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

you see the error in the GUI, right? But, can you confirm if the error shows up on the server too. If so, it could be a database issue. If that's the case, it will be worth taking a look at SQL Server. Sometimes (fortunately not often), it can screw up open transactions and maybe affect plastic. It is less than usual, to be honest.

Well, get this...

I checked the server and found nothing in the error logs. I took a guess and changed the timeout to be 0 (unlimited). Same error...

Here is the problem. I put my source out on a network drive and had my workspace mapped to it. For some reason, the checkin always failed to commit with this setup.

I moved my source to my local drive and it worked fine. This is how we do our normal development, but we keep some special projects out on the network and I wanted to control the source there. Apparently, Plastic either doesn't like it or I timed out/network traffic problem/whatever...

So, can Plastic manage source that resides somewhere other than the user's PC? I don't care if it cannot, I would just like to know. As I stated, all of our normal development is done with each developer having his own local copy.

Thanks for your time on this!!!!

Hi, Tom:

We're currently working on this case, trying to reproduce the case and trying to figure out what the problem could be.

Thanks for your patience,

Luis

Hi, Tom:

We support shared workspaces (by means of network drives, shared resources and so on) since the 2.9 version. Unfortunately I wasn't been able to reproduce the case, so I have several questions; hopefully these may help to figure out what's happening there:

- Which version of Plastic SCM are you using?

- Which platforms are involved (both Windows, windows-linux, etc.)?

- How many files contain the workspace (more or less) and how many files are involved in the checkin operation (more or less)?

- Could you test the same case in different machines? I guess that it could be a network issue, so it would be nice to check from elsewhere that the connectivity is ok.

- Finally, could you please use log in both server and client (set to DEBUG level), as explained here:

http://www.plasticscm.com/infocenter/technical-articles/kb-enabling-logging-for-plastic-scm-part-i.aspx

retry the operation and send me the log files? If you have any doubt about doing this, please don't hesitate to ask us.

I would appreciate if you previously delete the loader.log.txt file so that I can find the appropriate message easier.

Thanks and best regards,

Luis

Another thing to take into account would be if there are firewalls or antivirus involved; we have had clients that had experienced delays when these kind of programs are implied in an operation.

Archived