Setting up workspaces for new developers

tom.peters

Good Day -

We are just getting up and running on Plastic, and I have everything working just fine on my PC. The server resides on a server accessible to all of my developers. I want to get them up and running and have sent them the client-plugins installation.

What I was wondering, however, is if I could just send them my workspaces for them to copy locally and then their Plastic client would recognize them. I am trying to avoid having my developers go through setting up the selectors and all that.

So basically, let's say I have two workspaces, respectively rooted in; C:\Products\ProductA and C:\Products\ProductB

Could I copy C:\Products to their C: drive and then Plastic automatically sees them on their machines?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

The easiest way is that you send them the selectors, and then they'll be able to just copy/paste the selectors... 1 sec of work...

If you want to give a try to your way... you'll need to make plastic "find" the new workspaces. There is a file called plastic.workspaces (typically under your user configuration but it can also be located at plastic client's binaries location) which is the one defining where the known workspaces are (for the GUI specially, since the CLI is able to find them just locating the .plastic directory). Mine looks like:

C:\Users\pablo\plastic\client>type plastic.workspaces

// Known Plastic SCM workspaces

// id name path

9d71d312-9ebe-4973-997a-578c4577f2b0 01nerva c:\Users\pablo\wkspaces\four\01nerva

3fd21069-af50-4095-82e8-2a023d46d07f 02nervathirdparty c:\Users\pablo\wkspaces\four\02nervathirdparty

dadc989b-b546-46ff-b8c1-541af4972b74 03pnunit c:\Users\pablo\wkspaces\four\03pnunit

7cf1c32e-1431-47ee-8c8c-b167b85885d4 grouper c:\Users\pablo\data\develop\grouper

Hope it helps

pablo

Archived