Build problem

I have an intersting problem. I created a PlasticSMC installation on one of our developer's computers. He is using an XP laptop. I plan to get a server dedicated to this but not yet. I installed both the server and the client software on his machine. I am using the internal firebird database. I located the folder for the repositories at "C:\plastic_repositories".

Our product is an imbedded system. The code is written in assembler. The assembly and linking gets done as bat runs in a DOS window.

We created a workspace which was the folder for the present version of our software. We build the software with a "make" file that assembles all of the various source files and then links it together with a linker.

We were able to check-in all of the files into the repository, check out a source file, make some changes to the source and check it back in. No problems. When working on the souce code, we did a build running the "make" file and got an error in the process.

ASSEMBLY COMPLETE. 0 WARNING(S), 0 ERROR(S)

c:\c166\bin\l166 @genlink.lnk

C:\usr\LSD\2010\proj\AC_ONL~1.44A\544b>c:\C166\bin\L166 @GENLINK.LNK

DOS/4GW Professional error (2001): exception 0Dh (general protection fault) at 20F:0000B052

TSF32: prev_tsf32 6B0C

SS 237 DS 22F ES 1FF FS 0 GS 0

EAX 0 EBX 237 ECX 0 EDX 0

ESI 120 EDI 7114 EBP 317E ESP 1FB4

You can see the DOS/4GW Professional error (2001) error message above. I then uninstalled PlasticSCM and reran the "make" batch file. I ran with no errors. I did a search on the internet for that error message and found that sometimes it is a case where the DOS path is too long (it mentioned something like 250 characters max). I checked the path and found a very long path, like over 350 characters in lenth. I then went to an XP test machine that I used to try out Plastic on and installed the assembler and linker on it in the same place. I have copied the folder with the source code over to that machine, and ran the "Make" file, no problems. On the test machine the path is over 300 charaters also.

Sorry for the long story. But I'm hoping that someone has the answer.

Thanks,

Neal

Archived