PlasticSCM server requirements

Hi,

What are the requirements for the server?

Does it require GNU libc or Mono perhaps?

I am thinking if the Plastic SCM server is going to work on my server with Debian kFreeBSD 64 bit. This OS supports GNU libc and it also comes with a version of Mono 2.6.7.

Cheers,

Hi,

Plastic SCM works fine in several Linux distros, such as Debian, Fedora, RedHat, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE... I've never heard about Debian kFreeBSD. We provide zip installers for non-supported UNIX-based systems, such as FreeBSD. If this is your case you could try that. These zip installers contain only the server binaries and the client binaries. Please, don't forget that these option is for non-supported platforms.

The installer includes its own version of Mono 2.6.4, so the installation is very straight forward. If you are working with a x64 platform you'll need that version of the installer.

Finally, Plastic SCM includes SQLite as backend for Linux environments as default in both installer and zipped versions. This backend is embedded and you don't need to configure anything to make it run.

Best regards,

Luis

10x for the info.

Debian kFreeBSD is a Debian distro with FreeBSD kernel instead of Linux. GNU libc is ported to run on top of the FreeBSD kernel. This means that as far as your software uses only GNU libs (no kernel specific stuff) it should work on Debian kFreebBSD.

Anyway, where can I get a zip file?

Will I be able to run it by using pre-installed Mono and Sqlite?

-Anton

more here: http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why

Hi toncho!

I've tested 3.0 in FreeBSD long ago. It wouldn't be difficult to add a FreeBSD box to our "cluster" of testing machines...

All tests passed successfully.

What I had to do was:

- Install a "native" mono for FreeBSD

- Copy the plastic binaries

- run

I didn't use a installer since we don't have a specific one for FreeBSD.

pablo

Hi!

We've a "zip based distro" but I think it was never published. I'll check with Luis (build master).

In the meantime: take the linux binaries (server and client directories) and you're done.

You'll have to run the .exe with Mono, adapting (if necessary) the scripts (sample: cm points to cm.exe, and so on).

pablo

Hi,

The plastic binaries are the same in all platforms, the only difference is the Mono/.NET runtime.

So, if you take the Linux binaries... (which are all compiled using the Mono 2.0 profile) it should work...

Can you share the problem you're getting? Some log, stack trace... anything?

How to make the Linux bin installer extract the binaries, so that I can execute them by myself?

Should I zip and copy my Windows installation: \Program Files\PlasticSCM\server ?

Which executable to run: plasticd.exe? Do you have an executable that is not a Windows Service?

Thanks,

Anton

Hi,

You can install it on a Linux box, then get the "server" and "client" directories.

As I pointed above, you can then just execute the files, most likely using the scripts I pointed.

Basically, to start testing you can run the server as:

- mono plasticd.exe --console

and the client as:

- mono cm.exe

and the GUI

- mono plastic.exe

of course you can script it later, and you can use the "cm", "plastic" and "plasticd" scripts as example.

Archived