Configuring XP Professional as the Plastic SCM

I'm hoping to purchase a real file server in the near future to hold my Plastic repositories, but for now all I have is a spare XP Professional computer. I'm not a network guy so I can use some help. Is there a document around that will tell me what I have to do to get the three of us who will be working with Plastic to use the product. I tried a few things but could not seem to get the client to see the Plastic server.

For example, is there something I need to do with the firewall to allow me to get through to the XP machine. Like I hear opening up port 8084. I don't know how to do that. My computers are not part of a domian. They are in a workgroup. Is that a problem?

What would be great would be to have a document which explains just what I need to do. The developer computers running the Plastic client are a mix of XP and Windows 7 computers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Neal

nb, hi,

There is really not much to say, plastic uses a basic client/server workflow, so lets see.

A two minutes search on google, I found this video how to manually open ports on windows Xp firewall, see it at:

What you need on the winXp is to open port TCP 8084 that is the default listening port of the Plastic SCM server, of course you can adjust the server to other ports than the default, but lets not complicate things right now :)

Try basic netwroking tests, like ping the winXP pc from your clients, also, and "temporary" if still things are not going through, try deactivating Windows firewall and test again.

to see that the server indeed is up and listening on port 8084, you can open a windows console (cmd.exe) on the server and do a netstat -na you will see that indeed the server is listening on all IP and port 8084 as indicated on the screen-dump.

Hope that helps,

Miller

Archived