TeamCity and PlasticSCM

sbrassard

HI All... I want to describe my current setup and get some opinions on how I went about creating repositories and use Plastic. I also want to ask some questions about how TeamCity can be used with how we have our projects setup.

We are currently working with Visual Studio 2010 and have a solution file that contains 3 projects. A Web Application project and 2 Class Library projects (Business Objects and Framework). We have created 3 repositories that manage our source files for each of these projects and we have 3 workspaces setup for each repository. Our workspaces are located in c:\plasticworkspaces\ {name-of-workspace} \ {files/folders under source control}

We decided to try setting it up this way and let the solution file in our WebApplication manage the projects in the other workspaces. There are some drawbacks, but for the most part it seems to work well. Opening the solution file loads the other projects from their respected workspace, we can easily create branches using the plastic client and switch our workspace to a specific branch and visual studio recognizes the changes and allows us to check in each project under their own respective branches in their configured repositories.

(Yes, we could have created a "mount point" in our WebApplication (as an empty folder), but it's my opinion that this just makes your solution messy. Maybe I've misunderstood how its used and someone can enlighten me.)

So now we have a way to manage our project... lets move on to TeamCity. We have TeamCity plugin installed (there was a little bit of trial and error involved in this) and it can "successfully connect". However, because we are using multiple repositories, and there is an option for setting a selector, how can we utilize TeamCity with multiple repositories to create a build?

I would appreciate any feedback on how we have set up our repositories and any "best practices" you can provide and also any advice on using TeamCity with how we have our repositories configured. I would also like to know if its possible if I can create a workspace selected that can mount all 3 projects in the root over the same folder:

so for example, in: c:\plasticworkspaces\MyWorkspace\

MyWorkspace/WebApplication

MyWorkspace/ClassLibrary1

MyWorkspace/ClassLibrary2

What I don't want to do is create a mount point INSIDE my WebApplication for both Class Libraries...this is really not a good idea. For example:

MyWorkspace/WebApplication

MyWorkspace/WebApplication/libs/ClassLibrary1

MyWorkspace/WebApplication/libs/ClassLibrary2

So, Im interested to hear how some of you .NET developers managed this using multiple repos for individual projects and creating a workspace to handle everything for your development in .NET

Thanks!

sbrassard,

you should use the mount argument.

I will create a workspace, that hosts "mount" all your projects.

/WebApplication

/ClassLibrary1

/ClassLibrary2

And mount the three repos into this hosting workspace, the selector in the screen-shoot is "Experimental" meaning the "root " argument is not fully tested by us, hopefully one day soon will be fully functional.

Otherwise, use this supported selector, but you will get the sub-folders from your class repos.

repository "rep2_prj2_ClassLibrary1" mount "/ClassLibrary1"

path "/"

br "/main"

co "/main"

repository "rep3_pr3_ClassLibrary2" mount "/ClassLibrary2"

path "/"

br "/main"

co "/main"

repository "rep1_prj1_WebApplication" mount "/WebApplication"

path "/"

br "/main"

co "/main"