Visual Studio plugin for Plastic 4.0

Soho

Hi,

We are having tons of daily issues with the Visual Studio plugin for Plastic 3.0 (I have been reporting a lot of these during the summer, a few have been fixed with version .30, but most problems persist).

I was wondering if the plugin will be rewritten for Plastic 4 or if we can expect the same problems if we upgrade when 4.0 is officially released.

A stable Visual Studio plugin is very high on our wishlist.

Søren

Please can you send to support@codicesoftware.com a list with the pending issues that are hitting you?

I can compile such a list, but it is a long list, so it would require a lot of effort. If you are not working on the 3.0 plugin anymore it might be a waste of time for both of us. On the other hand, if your 4.0 plugin code is based on the 3.0 plugin, then it would make great sense.

Also, I have often got the reply, that my team is the only one experiencing the problems, so maybe we using Plastic in a way it was not intended to be used and should really use another VCS. For example we use the solution folders in our solutions an apparently Plastic doesn't work well with solution folders.

If we are the only team that use solution folders, may be we were better off using GIT or Mercurial, rather than making you spend time on a problem only few people have.

Hi Soho,

but, you are saying that the plugin is completely unusable? I'm aware that our dev team did a lot of fixes regarding the solution folders, do you have the release with the fixes?

We will appreciate if you could send the major bugs that are hitting you. We are focused on developing a better product everyday so all the feedback is welcome to achieve a better product, it doesn't matter if you are the only one having the trouble or not.

Regards,

manu.

Hi,

I am not saying that the plugin is completely unusable, but we do have daily frustrations. I know that the dev team has been working hard to fix some of the issues I have been reporting and I do appreciate that effort a lot.

We are currently using the .30 version, which I believe is the latest and greatest. This version fixed maybe two or three of the problems I have been reporting, but still maybe 5 - 10 common problems persist and daily "never seen that before" problems which can be hard to reproduce and therefore hard to report.

I would be happy to report all those problems, but I don't think I got a clear answer whether I can expect some of the same issues in the 4.0 plugin or if the plugin has been rewritten from scratch. I the plugin has been redesigned it might be in vain to report bugs on an abandoned version.

I would like to repeat that I find your support responses most excellent. Even though there are, in my experience, more than average issues with your application, you take feedback serious and provide quick replies. Kudos for that. To reach the skies, go make your product rock solid. After all, trust is a keyword for a great VCS.

Best regards

Søren

• 3 weeks later...

Soho,

We started using solution folders down here too one moth ago or so. To be honest we never used them before except for some testing.

Now we're totally committed to solution folders. We've been using them seamlessly down here (not me, I don't use the plugin at all, but the pending changes view) but the rest of the team.

So, expect great new stuff out of the 4.0 plugin.

pablo

Archived