Possible to create "reference" copies of files?

deanaug

For our documents, we keep the day-to-day "working" copies in a /Documents directory tree, and released versions in a separate /Deliverables tree (both on same branch). So far we've basically done a "Save as" from /Documents to /Deliverables to capture released doc versions. This gives us the correct data, but there is no link (Plastic-wise) between the original version in /Documents to the newly created /Deliverables file, since the history from the original file is lost.

If possible, we would like to create a "reference" or "shared"(?) copy of the original file version to the new file, so the new file retains the version numbering / history of the original, and it's easy to figure out where the released doc file came from. I don't see any way to do that, am I missing something?

Note that we previously used Visual SourceSafe, which has a pin / share function which provided something like this.

Thanks as ever!!

Dean

Hi deanaug,

I'm not sure if I've understood your situation.

But, if you want to keep a copy of your working files you can create a label and apply it over your workspace. With the label you will have the reference you are looking for and all the advantages of a label.

Regards,

manu

Hi Manu,

Yes, we use labels for released versions of the files, so we can identify / reference them later if we need to. :)

I guess maybe what we are wondering about is a "link" to a particular file version from another location?

For example, if we had file mydoc.docx with label RELEASE1 in folder /Documents/mydoc, we would like to have a different folder /Deliverables/mydoc point to that labeled revision of mydoc.docx somehow. Sort of like Unix links with versioning added, so you would have multiple Plastic directories referencing a single file version object? The main purpose for doing this is to make it obvious at-a-glance which released revisions are captured in the /Deliverables area.

Thanks!!!

Dean

Archived