merging changes in excel file (.xlsm)

epeleg

Are there any recommendations as to how to work with excel files and plasticscm ?

I use an excel file to keep strings for i18n,

now suppose I need to change it in some branch/task, how do I handle merges?

There is a good post about using beyond compare for doing diff for excel files here:

http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2011/05/setting-up-plastic-scm-with-external.html

but no reference to merging.

Thanks,

Eyal

Haven't tried Plastic 4.0 yet (waiting til side-by-side operation with 3.0 is "stable" for that), but with 3.0 there is no attempt to merge the contents of binary files like Excel, Word, etc. Instead, if a three-way merge is needed, Plastic prompts you to pick which file is the "latest and greatest", and takes the entire contents of the one you picked, so it becomes a copy operation rather than a merge. Plastic allows (or at least did in 3.0) you to specify your own external diff/merge tool to work with binaries, rather than their built-in support, if you have one on hand.

Note that sub-branches for binaries work OK as long as you only make changes to the binary on the CHILD branch. If you make parallel changes on both parent and child branches, you'll probably be forced to fix the conflicts manually (usually involves arm wrestling for who is going to save-as and un-checkout their file, then redo the changes once the other person has checked in their changes).

Archived