Users deactivating on fast import

sray

Well, it looks like I have one last problem related with exporting from 3.0 and importing into 4.0. Apparently, one database did not import properly (branch explorer comes up blank), so I re-exported with 3.0.187.32 and imported with 4.0.237.2. When I did this, the screen output tells me a user is not activated and to activate and retry the import. The user being reported is prichert who is the user associated with this database and who I activated yesterday.

Using "cm li", sure enough the user is no longer listed, so I activate again. Then I reimport and get the same message. Checking "cm li" the user is no longer there (in other tests, sometimes listed as unlicensed instead).

So next I experimented with user activation on 4.0 and noticed something odd. I can activate users, but then if I do nothing but restart the plasticscm server, the users are no longer activated! Here's an example:

First I list the users and add an additional user:

E:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\client>cm li
  Plastic SCM license information:

* User-license information:
sray					  ACTIVE
Administrator			 ACTIVE
rdesantiago			   ACTIVE
jhatch					ACTIVE
E:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\client>cm au prichert
User prichert has been successfully activated

sray					  ACTIVE
Administrator			 ACTIVE
rdesantiago			   ACTIVE
jhatch					ACTIVE
prichert				  ACTIVE
E:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\client>

All's fine so far. But now I just restart the server and look at activated users again:

sray					  ACTIVE
Administrator			 ACTIVE
rdesantiago			   ACTIVE

Not only did the recently added user disappear, but another user was eliminated as well (jhatch)! Note that we are in an Active Directory environment in case that makes any difference. I am worried that the same thing will happen the next time we reboot the Windows server we are running on.

So basically I have two issues to resolve in my migration to 4.0:

- Why does this one database not import properly, and in the process, deactivate users?

- Why do user activations disappear on a simple restart of the plasticscm server?

Any thoughts on what's going on here?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

We've been trying with a big repo, and we can't reproduce. Although, sometimes the following happens:

- You replicate to the "default" repo, where your user is not still activated, then it gets deactivated in the process if your user matches one of the imported ones.

If that's not the case, we'll continue looking into it.

Last night I had the repo owner look at what I was doing and he noticed the the 3.0 source was corrupted (only showed 5 changesets in a single branch when he had 33 over 3 branches). Since this 3.0 repo was origionally an import from SVN, I started working with the SVN repo instead. To import this, I attempted to migrate it to Git first. Unfortunately, the import into git had fatal errors when doing a full migration with svn2git. So I'm concluding that the SVN source is actually corrupted.

It turns out that the SVN repo was created when we were evaluating alternatives to ClearCase. Plastic won the evals, but we thought is was easier to import from SVN as many projects were already tested there and the import tool supported SVN. This worked in most cases. For this repo, we will go back to ClearCase as the source and migrate it directly to 4.0 and that should fix this last repo.

Let me know if you have any suggestions on migrating from clearcase to plastic as I don't think clearcase has a fast-export...

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

We've been trying with a big repo, and we can't reproduce. Although, sometimes the following happens:

- You replicate to the "default" repo, where your user is not still activated, then it gets deactivated in the process if your user matches one of the imported ones.

If that's not the case, we'll continue looking into it.

In this case, I was importing to a new repo. One thing I noticed: the users that disappeared were users that were manually activated with the cm au command, but had no owned material in any repo yet and haden't yet even accessed version 4.0. I'm mostly concerned about users disappearing when the server is restarted, but if this is happening only because the user hasn't actually used the this plastic version yet, then that's ok. I'll do a few more experiments with the users actually checking in material next week if time permits...

Steve

You sure users are not there?

cm q "select * from seid"

So, I'm referring to the licensing of users in the above as shown with the "cm li" command. I tried the "cm q ..." command you mentioned above and this only works from within a repository. I think this only shows users active in that repo as well. Is that correct? Here's my result of that on one repo that imported correctly:

C:\Documents and Settings\sray\My Documents\Plastic Workspaces\CardSim>cm version
C:\Documents and Settings\sray\My Documents\Plastic Workspaces\CardSim>cm q "select * from seid"
iseidid		scode		  sgroup		 sactive
1			  S-1-5-21-1735360862-2519659592-1397052505-1176F			  T
C:\Documents and Settings\sray\My Documents\Plastic Workspaces\CardSim>

So this doesn't really show what I was talking about earlier. Here's an example of what I saw happening (sorry if this is a repeat):

First I activate a couple users:

E:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\client>cm version

sray					  ACTIVE
Administrator			 ACTIVE
rdesantiago			   ACTIVE
E:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\client>cm au prichert jhatch
User prichert has been successfully activated
User jhatch has been successfully activated

sray					  ACTIVE
Administrator			 ACTIVE
rdesantiago			   ACTIVE
prichert				  ACTIVE
jhatch					ACTIVE

Then I restart the PlasticSCM server or reboot the system. When I go back an look at the licensed users, the two new users are no longer listed:

sray					  ACTIVE
Administrator			 ACTIVE
rdesantiago			   ACTIVE

I guess I'm thinking that the user activations will "stick" once the user performs some activity in one of the repos. I'll test this out next week. On the other hand, if active users lose activation on server reboot, that will be a problem.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

PS - Now that I'm live on 4.0 with my projects, I'm loving the new branch explorer!

Archived