cherry picking an entire branch

epeleg

I was wandering if I can "Cherry pick" an entire branch ?

I have br:/main from which I normally derive and merge back task branches br:/main/taskN

and now I want to start working on some big feature that has many tasks that can not be added to br:/main one by one so I created br:/main/bigchange and was planning to use br:/main/bigchange/taskN sub branches for tasks related to "bigchange".

So far so good. now when I finished working on some br:/main/bigchange/task123 I realized that I that I want to have the same changes in this branch applied to the main branch.

How should this be done?

Would cherry picking each CS within br:/main/bigchange/task123 do the trick?

or should/can I "cherry pick" the entire branch at once ?

What if I knew from the start that I am now going to work on a task that should be resolved in both /main and /main/bigchange would it change anything ?

Am I understanding the concept of cherry picking correctly as meaning that it is a merge that is limited to changes that occurred on a specific CS (or a set of CSs / All CSs of a specific branch) without considering other stuff that happened since the branch being merged into and the one being cherry picked split from one another ?

b.t.w.

Do have at Codice some easy notation to write about branches and changesets ?

something like CS57-CS50 describing all the changes from CS50 to CS57?

Thanks

Eyal

Hi

Are you using PlasticSCM 4.0?

If you are using it you can right click on a branch and then you have the option "Advance merge" -> "Cherry pick from this branch" and it will do the trick.

If you are using PlasticSCM 3.0 you can directly right click on a branch and "Cherry pick from this branch..." it will do the same!

the standard changeset specification is cs:XYZ but depending on the command you can specify a changeset range or not, there is no a common way to do it :(

Manu

• 1 month later...

Archived